superscript, subscript, and line spacing

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
spower

Re: superscript, subscript, and line spacing

Post by spower »

Elbrecht, did you even read my post? You seem to be having a conversation with yourself about how wonderful Unicode is. What has anything that you have said got to do with the bug I am talking about in NWP on a standard Mac?

Get a Mac, install NWP, launch NWP, open a new document, type more than 1 line of text and use the subscript button. The line spacing is forced apart. Bug. Do you understand now?

I am not asking for a lecture on the zen of Unicode. I am requesting a bug fix!
SP

Some people are neither wise nor clever.
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

Mmm ... I don't care how Nisus chooses to achieve it either. If they find a way of associating super- and subscript calls to Unicode code points, that's great, or if they give us a way we can set a custom raised or lowered baseline on super- and subscripts as they have done with the Note Reference character style, that too is fine by me.

But I'm not going to set about customising my keyboard for this ... I use it for a whole lot more apps than just word processing, and I have read so many forum threads by people who are using different keyboards or have installed apps to map the keyboard differently and then find keyboard shortcuts don't work, that I wouldn't want to go that route, even if I had the know-how, time and energy.

And, just to throw fat on the fire, it seems there are more rumours of display independence coming to a Mac near you ... at which point it'll all be scaling anyway.

Mark
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

xiamenese wrote: And, just to throw fat on the fire, it seems there are more rumours of display independence coming to a Mac near you ... at which point it'll all be scaling anyway.
Mark
But that kind of scaling is different - elements of typographic style make up a cool font and have to be done by the typographer, that's why all scaled elements over against not scaled elements destroy the beauty of a font. Scaling a whole document does not do any harm to the typographer's art.

HE

Beauty is the shining of truth!
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Sorry -

looks like I posted the above again somehow...

HE
Last edited by Elbrecht on 2008-06-09 01:04:01, edited 1 time in total.
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
scottwhitlock

Post by scottwhitlock »

spower,

this is how conversations on this forum usually end up, meandering along into some other interesting topic. i've found that i've learned a lot about things that i never really thought of because of it. :)

i believe that martin has duly noted your bug fix request...

s.
MacBook Pro 15
2.66 Ghz Core i7
8GB RAM
NWP 2.0.4
iPad 3
spower

Post by spower »

Just a quick (albeit delayed) follow up to my original post.

It would seem that a fix for the scaling of super/subscript bug in NWP should not be too hard.

3 weeks ago, I asked the developer of the simple (but very nice) OS X text editor Bean if he had any plan to overcome the basic problem with super/subscript in the Apple Text Engine (as seen in TextEdit, and according to Martin the reason NWP has a problem with super/subscripts when using 'multiple' line spacing). It is now done (in version 1.3.2 of Bean) - super/subscript scaling to a level that does not affect line spacing (with the 'multiple' line spacing approach). Very impressive turn-around, especially given that Bean is free.

Here's hoping that the Nisus crew can implement a similarly speed fix.