.odt support in NWP 1.1

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Sascha Erni

.odt support in NWP 1.1

Post by Sascha Erni »

Hi there,

from the product page:
Pro will also read Word (.doc, .docx), Word Perfect, Open Document (.odt) and AbiWord documents.
Am I right to assume that Open Document support is only available on Leopard? At any rate, NWP doesn’t open my ODT documents on Tiger.

Could anybody who got .odt support working with NWP tell me about how well it works? I’m considering upgrading to Leo, and if this works “pretty well”, that may be one more reason for the switch. :)

Cheers,
-Sascha
Hamid

Re: .odt support in NWP 1.1

Post by Hamid »

Sascha Erni wrote:[...]Am I right to assume that Open Document support is only available on Leopard?
[...]
Yes, as mentioned in the Newsletter:
Oh, and you can read .docx and .odt files if you are using Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5.x).
http://www.nisus.com/news/newsletter/nl080620.php
Sascha Erni

Post by Sascha Erni »

Thanks for the hint to the newsletter, I’ve subscribed now. :)

Anybody for the second part of my question? How well does ODT support work with Nisus? I wouldn’t need much, just some manuscripts (i. e. no tables, not images, no figures) to be read and edited, including headers and footers …

Cheers,
-Sascha
mrennie

Post by mrennie »

Hi Sascha,

.odt support is quite basic in Leopard, comparable, or perhaps slightly inferior to, Word support in prior and current releases of Mac OS X. If you only need basic text support, you'll be fine; complex content is not supported. I've just created a test document in OpenOffice.org, with a header and a footer, and none of them got imported into Nisus. Also, the body text seems to have lost its style definitions; in other words, do not upgrade to Leopard because of the .odt support alone, as you're bound to be disappointed by it.
Sascha Erni

Post by Sascha Erni »

Thanks, mrennie! I will keep this in mind.

Cheers,
-Sascha
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

For the best translation, it would be easier and better to download Neo Office and "save as" to .rtf wouldn't it? Presumably NWP would then open the .rtf without difficulty. Or am I being naive (again!)? :o

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- the secrets of how type can help you to sell or influence, now at the new low price of $29.95. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com or Amazon.
mrennie

Post by mrennie »

Hi Geoff,

no, you're not being naïve, this is indeed the best solution. At the same time, this method implies having to use two apps instead of one in order to use the document in its entirety in Nisus Writer Pro.
Sascha Erni

Post by Sascha Erni »

Hi Geoff,

that’s exactly the way I’ve dealt with ODT up to now. But I was wondering, prior to converting some 30-50 documents (stuff I wrote on Linux) whether NWP could deal with the docs as-is.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll stick to the guns, then.

Cheers,
-Sascha