Desired NWP1.2 Features

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Brooke6

Re: Desired NWP1.2 Features

Post by Brooke6 »

Track Changes, compatible with MSWord and with Pages.

Hands down, no question. I would do handsprings if the next version of NWP offered this and nothing else.
dude

Post by dude »

1. Bookends or Endnote support, pick one and support it hardcore
2. Open the same document mulitple times with edit abilities in all of them
3. Track changes (can or cannot be MS Word Compatible since I hate MS Word)
Just a guy trying to be a dude...
joehardy

Post by joehardy »

Brooke6 wrote:Track Changes, compatible with MSWord and with Pages.

Hands down, no question. I would do handsprings if the next version of NWP offered this and nothing else.
That would be my wish too. I've had great success with the Comments feature, although I do ask that Word-using students send me their documents in RTF if they can, so the feature is compatible (and it is.) If they don't or can't or can't remember to do so, I just save the .doc document as RTF and send it back to them as RTF which opens in Word just fine.

If Track Changes could be added, then I'd pretty much be free of Word completely.
<a href="http://web.mac.com/joehardy">Blog the Day!</a>
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

I wondered whether I mentioned that the only way top get an "outline" as I think of it -- heads to which I can attach text -- is to use the 'Headings" list. The "Outline" list loses its autonumbering if you insert some "None" text between the heads.

The heads in an "Outline" list should should retain their autonumbering feature when text is added under the heads.

Another thought: what about the capability for a global change in list numbering in a document rather than having to alter all levels manually? This is possible with a document which is just one kind of list -- you just select all then switch list styles. But where you have number heads and "none" text in between ...

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes", the secrets of how type can help you to sell or influence, and "How to Start and Produce a magazine or Newsletter", now at the new low price of $29.95. See these books and more at http://www.worsleypress.com or Amazon.
Derick

Post by Derick »

Just checking back into these forums after a while away....I would still argue against any effort being expended on the document manager -- the examples people have given of how they use it are all things that could be accomplished perfectly well, if not better, using the Finder, esp. as in Leopard the arrival of QuickLook makes the preview pane in the document manager redundant. And the document manager doesn't support os x's context menus, unlike the Finder. I have nothing against a word processor with serious file management capabilities -- WordPerfect's file dialogs were better in many ways than Windows Explorer -- but NWP's DM has a lot to add before it comes close to what's already built into the operating system.

Unless....the DM were revamped along the lines of Scrivener's Binder. In the last month, I have moved out of NWP & into Scrivener for all my serious writing projects, & have found Scrivener's Binder to offer organizational possibilities way beyond any word processor I've used on any system. I'll still use NWP for final formatting and short documents (and Word for anything collaborative that requires me to track changes....) but I've really been sold on Scrivener for outlining, organization, and longer writing projects (also got to dump OmniOutlinerPro -- what a waste of $$$ that was....). Something similar to the Scrivener Binder, allowing the conjoining and separation of multiple files, & the management of hierarchical relationships between many files in the same project would be great. But just expanding the DM to do what the Finder already does well (creating aliases, consolidating frequently used files, showing previews, allowing for multiple windows/views of the file system &c.) seems like a waste of the developers' time.

My $.02, again.
Derick

Post by Derick »

On the two views of the same document discussion above -- on the rare occasions when I've needed to do this lately, I've just saved a PDF of the doc. to a temporary file, & opened the PDF in Preview. Without an actual split screen, there isn't much gain to having the second copy open in NWP (esp. if you want it read-only) b/c you still need to mess around getting the two windows positioned conveniently.
marc

Post by marc »

Derick wrote:...just expanding the DM to do what the Finder already does well (creating aliases, consolidating frequently used files, showing previews, allowing for multiple windows/views of the file system &c.) seems like a waste of the developers' time.
I've generally been a supporter of the DM, at the in the sense that it isolates my documents in a convenient location, with quick access.

At the same time, you're right, the Finder offers a lot now and the DM hasn't really advanced. Given the preference to save all files to a Nisus folder, to automatically save files etc. the DM really only functions as a file listing window showing the contents of your default folder, although it does provide an instant text preview of the selected file.

In one sense then the Document Manger menu command could instead open the Nisus Documents folder, and the user would simply open a file as normal (or drop it onto Nisus' Dock icon if not associated with NW.) This would give the user the option to view by list, preview/QiuckLook, and type-to-find and Spotlight search.

To experiment with this I've added this simple AppleScript to the Macros folder, and mapped a shortcut:

Code: Select all

tell application "Finder"
	open folder "Macintosh HD:Users:UserName:Documents:Nisus Documents"
	activate
end tell
Derick

Post by Derick »

I guess I just don't understand why one would want all Nisus documents in one place -- my model has always been to organize folders on a per project basis. Some are Nisus docs, but many aren't, so my usual workflow is to open a project's folder in the Finder and launch files from there.
Simon Knight

Post by Simon Knight »

I need a WP that allows me to write a document in portrait format but include pages in landscape within the document. Nisus allows this but there is a bug when printing which means that it does not work.

The landscape pages often contain tables that span many pages, the ability to specify a header row is a must.

My two pennies

Simon

(Back to using MSWord :x or NeoOffice....)
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

The question is now starting to become -- when do we see 1.2 or maybe 2.0 ? :love:

Cheers, Geoff

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes", the secrets of how type can help you to sell or influence, and "How to Start and Produce a magazine or Newsletter", now at the new low price of $29.95. See these books and more at http://www.worsleypress.com or Amazon.
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Hi Geoff -

it's all because of your vertical rulers only..

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

You mean they're not measuring up? :D

Cheers, Geoff

Rachmede

Post by Rachmede »

Having automaticly a live TOC when we export a ocument in PDF format.
My mother tongue is French so please excuse my english... ;)
dude

Post by dude »

Any idea when we will see 1.2?
Just a guy trying to be a dude...
Matze

Post by Matze »

The eagle has landed!