Desired NWP1.2 Features

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Anne Cuneo

Re: Desired NWP1.2 Features

Post by Anne Cuneo »

I read all your wishes in one go (I've been so busy lately, I had no time for forums and blogs), and was impressed. My one and ever-present wish is the possibility of an automatic back-up copy in another location, just in case I forget to do one myself. It was the feature in Nisus Classic that saved me several times. I know OS X is much stabler - still, I'd love that. Sounds like a small nothing compared to your awesome demands.
Anne
thewolfgang

Post by thewolfgang »

An excellent and essential feature. Thanks, Anne.

Incidentally, Anne's review (in French) of the first release of NWP was a magnificent analysis and tribute to the software. And Anne is the author, also in French, of two books featuring as its heroine an investigator named, appropriately enough, Marie Machiavelli.

Hurrah!

Laurence
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Anne Cuneo wrote:My one and ever-present wish is the possibility of an automatic back-up copy in another location, just in case I forget to do one myself. It was the feature in Nisus Classic that saved me several times. I know OS X is much stabler - still, I'd love that.
Anne -

when on Leopard, go get Time Machine running - you can customize back ups...

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Automatic back-up of the file you're working on? Should be easy -- a modification of the existing autosave feature, surely.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes", the secrets of how type can help you to sell or influence, and "How to Start and Produce a magazine or Newsletter", now at the new low price of $29.95. See these books and more at http://www.worsleypress.com or Amazon.
shades

Post by shades »

Geoff, perhaps this will solve your thirst for a"vertical" rulers? Rulers for all apps (Mac and Windows versions). :)
MBP 2.4 GHz, OS X 10.5.6
NWP 1.2, Mellel 2.6, iWork 08
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

You jest, of course, shades. What beats me is why NWP has no vertical ruler. I mean, NW was a groundbreaker in this respect back in the day -- why wind back on this simple feature which has now been pretty much universally adopted?

But you actually need it. If you are preparing a document with graphics in it, for example, you might want to size them so they will fit on the page and you might want a vertical measurement because you want them next to a particular paragraph or whatever. What are you supposed to do if you haven't got a vertical ruler to take a measurement from? Guess, then guess again? Just drag resize -- and lose control of resolution?

Nah, we must have a vertical ruler.

Cheers, Geoff

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes", the secrets of how type can help you to sell or influence, and "How to Start and Produce a magazine or Newsletter", now at the new low price of $29.95. See these books and more at http://www.worsleypress.com or Amazon.
Bob Stern

Open 2 copies of same document

Post by Bob Stern »

I concur with this feature request.

I often have to duplicate a document in the Finder so that I can refer to one part while editing another part of the same document.

The second, read-only copy preferably should have a very conspicuous indication that it is read-only so that I don't inadvertently edit the wrong copy. Perhaps appending READ ONLY in all caps to the file name displayed at the top of the document window.
scottwhitlock

Post by scottwhitlock »

i think they're intentionally not including a vertical ruler to spite you, Geoff...:)
MacBook Pro 15
2.66 Ghz Core i7
8GB RAM
NWP 2.0.4
iPad 3
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Sad but true Scotty. I would like to emphasise, though, that I am absolutely convinced that it is NOT a conspiracy. It only takes one malcontent in the bowels of one of these giant corporations, you know, and ... :o

By the way, I just noticed that a message may contain no more than 60,000 characters. That's in the region of 10,000 words.

Now, I call that generous and I wonder that the Solanums even bother with us, given that we are so insensitive as to ignore their kind invitation to let rip at some length.

Come on, you writers, step up to the crease (if Commonwealth of Nations, including Mozambique) or plate (if USA, Japanese, etc) or whatever you consider an appropriate launching pad to be (if of other National origin or residence), and let's see an avalanche of prolixity. You may never get another opportunity as good as this.

Cheers, Geoff

Bob Stern

Post by Bob Stern »

1. A button or menu command to create a Macro that incorporates all the settings of the current Find/Replace dialog.

2. Suppress blank lines at the top of a page unless immediately preceded by a New Page code. (In Page View & printing, but not in Draft View, of course.)

3. Table cell padding: Add separate adjustments for horizontal & vertical padding. The current padding adjustment produces greater top/bottom padding than left padding.

4. For tables that cross a page boundary, add option to have a header row printed as the first row on each page.
Peder

Post by Peder »

Hi Bob,

Regarding your point 2, just don't use a return to create the blank line. Use the "space above" in the Styles settings, and the empty lines disappear very nicely at the top of the pages.

Best,

Peder
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
ptram

Post by ptram »

A few features that come to mind at the moment:

1) Custom space around illustrations. My illustrations are often cluttered against the text.
2) "Heading" paragraph styles automatically considered as targets in X-Refs. They are my most commonly used targets, and it's a shame one must add them as bookmarks (to be edited when editing headings).
3) As asked by others, soft hyphens. I usually end up with hyphens in the middle of a line.
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

ptram wrote:A few features that come to mind at the moment:
3) As asked by others, soft hyphens. I usually end up with hyphens in the middle of a line.
Again -
this seems to work now for Leopard - try Lucida Grande et al...

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
gkrosl

Post by gkrosl »

I would like to see two features:
First, a revision control that is compatible with Word (sorry, but I have to work with a lot of documents created with Word).
Second, an ability to communicate with reference manager such as EndNote. Communication with EndNote would be very nice, since the program runs on Mac and Windows and it is used extensively in research community.

Thanks for the great program,
Gorazd
Anne Cuneo

Post by Anne Cuneo »

TheWolfgant wrote
Incidentally, Anne's review (in French) of the first release of NWP was a magnificent analysis and tribute to the software. And Anne is the author, also in French, of two books featuring as its heroine an investigator named, appropriately enough, Marie Machiavelli.
Thank you TWG. And while we are at it, I didn't write two Marie Machiavelli crime novels, but five. People love that heroine, and I have fun writing her stories - with Nisus, of course, all of them, just as the historical novels I do on the side.

Elbrecht wrote
when on Leopard, go get Time Machine running - you can customize back ups...
I know, I know - but first I am still on 10.4.11 (or is it 12), and second from what I hear about Time Machine, I think I'd prefer an automatic back-up in another location just for Nisus texts, so that even when I am away from home (happens a lot), I can save on the iDisk or on a USB device.
Anne