freaking massive memory leak

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Derick

freaking massive memory leak

Post by Derick »

After opening and closing a dozen or so rtfs and WordPerfect documents (some with complicated tables, footnotes &c.) in NWP, I started wondering why my computer was responding so slowly.

The culprit: NWP - with no documents open - was using 780MB of real memory, and was slowly but steadily increasing its memory usage when I quit it.

After restarting, it's using about 26 MB of real memory.

Just tried reopening a dozen of the documents I'd been working with, and it only went up to around 75 MB (though after closing them all it goes down to 46 MB, not back to 26 MB).

So I can't replicate it. I'm kind of glad, actually, as it made my computer practically unusable.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: freaking massive memory leak

Post by martin »

I'm glad to hear it's not a problem that affects you all the time. Certainly there's always the possibility that NWP leaks some memory here and there. If you do find a reproducible way to leak significant amounts of memory we'd love to know so we can fix it.
Derick wrote:Just tried reopening a dozen of the documents I'd been working with, and it only went up to around 75 MB (though after closing them all it goes down to 46 MB, not back to 26 MB).
This isn't necessarily unexpected. When you first load NWP not all required resources are loaded. For example, opening a Classic Nisus Writer document triggers additional code and data to be loaded. These additional resources aren't relinquished because NWP reasonably expects that you might open another Classic document sometime later. This isn't normally an issue because the OSX virtual memory system will push unused data to your hard drive if available RAM is scarce.
Derick

Re: freaking massive memory leak

Post by Derick »

Thanks for the clarification -- I'll let you know if it happens again or if I find a way to replicate it.
cheers