Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Menu key shortcuts 

Does anyone know if it is possible to assign keyboard shortcuts for menu keys without using the Command key on every shortcut? For example, I would like to program Cntrl-R as delete previous word, but I have to use the Command-Cntrl-R as it is now.

2007-12-14 08:17:16

Thomas C. Wolfe wrote:
I would like to program Cntrl-R as delete previous word, but I have to use the Command-Cntrl-R as it is now.
You can use the default Cocoa app shortcut Option-Delete to delete backward one word.

2007-12-14 08:49:46

as an old Wordstar user, I want to do everything from the home keys and I'm used to the old wordstar shortcuts

2007-12-14 09:00:03

Thomas C. Wolfe wrote:
Does anyone know if it is possible to assign keyboard shortcuts for menu keys without using the Command key on every shortcut? For example, I would like to program Cntrl-R as delete previous word, but I have to use the Command-Cntrl-R as it is now.

To answer your question directly -- No.

one thing you could do is invest in a key redefining program

I have iKey and love it. I don't use it for the reason you are asking, mostly for opening programs.

2007-12-16 08:52:48

Thomas C. Wolfe wrote:

Yes, you can.

1. Download
Attachment:
KeyBindings.zip [1.33 KiB]
Downloaded 237 times
and unzip it;

2. If you don't have "/Users/you/Library/KeyBindings" folder, just create it;

3. Put "DefaultKeyBinding.dict" (you'll find in the unzipped zip archive) in "/Users/you/Library/KeyBindings/";

4. Key bindings below should be available in any newly launched decent *Cocoa* applications. (Carbon is unuseable for me just because it's not Cocoa ;-)

Instead of the steps 2 and 3, you can just put "KeyBindings" folder in the zip archive in your "/Users/you/Library/".

"DefaultKeyBinding.dict" is a text file you can modify as you like. See http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~jrus/Site/Cocoa%20Text%20System.html.

The easiest way to customize Cocoa keybindings would be to use KeyBindingsEditor.app http://www.cocoabits.com/KeyBindingsEditor/.

See http://www.cocoabits.com/KeyBindingsEditor/Manual/index.html for the on-line manual.

See http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Reference/ApplicationKit/Classes/NSResponder_Class/Reference/Reference.html#//apple_ref/occ/cl/NSResponder to know what functions you can define in your DefaultKeyBinding.dict.

Quote:
as an old Wordstar user, I want to do everything from the home keys and I'm used to the old wordstar shortcuts

Me too ;-) I have never used WordStar but its key bindings were the standard when I began to use a computor.

===

ctrl-d: move to right
ctrl-s: move to left
ctrl-e: move up
ctrl-x: move down

ctrl-f: move to word right
ctrl-a: move to word left

ctrl-shift-d: select a character right
ctrl-shift-s: select a character left
ctrl-shift-e: select a character up
ctrl-shift-x: select a character down

ctrl-shift-f: select a word right