What do orange coloured names of Font families mean?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
karinac

What do orange coloured names of Font families mean?

Post by karinac »

This is probably a very stupid question, but it bugs me ;-)
In the drop down menue of the Character Palette, I now, after a re-install of Nisus Writer Pro 1.1 often find the name of a Font family coloured in orange (NOT red as for susbstituition fonts) in an empty space after the fonts used in the document and before the longer list of available fonts.

I don't remember these orange-coloured Font families at all from my old system/old NWPro installation and I can't find anything about them in Nisus Help.

In new files, this orange-coloured Font family is Tahoma-Bold (no Tahoma font at all ever installed on this or any of my previous systems). In files from older systems (files imported from Classic) it could be BST Greek (which actually was installed on my old system but is not on this new nor used in the actual file), SBL this-or-or that (likewise) or non-existing.

Advertisement?

Thank you in advance for answers,
Groucho

Re: What do orange coloured names of Font families mean?

Post by Groucho »

karinac wrote:In new files, this orange-coloured Font family is Tahoma-Bold (no Tahoma font at all ever installed on this or any of my previous systems). In files from older systems (files imported from Classic) it could be BST Greek (which actually was installed on my old system but is not on this new nor used in the actual file), SBL this-or-or that (likewise) or non-existing.
As far as I know, the hilite means a substituted font, i. e. a font that doesn't/no longer exists, or that was disabled, or that has a different name in your operating system than in a previous one.
If you have older files, maybe fonts are named by their postscript name. NWPro shows fonts with their human-readable name. E. g. GarmdITC is the postscript name of ITC Garamond in my font set.
Last but not least, NWPro hilites missing fonts even if they are not really used in the document, but are listed among the styles nonetheless.
I hope I hit the nail on the head.

Cheers, Henry.
Kino

Post by Kino »

Font name coloured in orange is a missing font. You don’t have the font actually installed/enabled in your Mac. For example, “Pro” of “Nisus Writer Pro 1.1”, the very first sentence of Nisus Macro Reference.rtf is flagged as missing font for me as I don’t have BookAntiqua-Bold font.

Substituted fonts are a different thing. When you type a character which is not contained in the actual font, the character in another font is supplied automatically by OS X. This is font substitution. For example, U+1D12B (MUSICAL SYMBOL DOUBLE FLAT), “אֶ” (HEBREW LETTER ALEF followed by HEBREW POINT SEGOL) and “三” (CJK Ideograph “three”) in the same rtf are in substituted font.

Edit: phpbb does not support a code point over U+FFFF, it seems.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

Release Notes for NWP 1.1 mentions:
Added: unavailable fonts (those not installed on the computer) applied in files are preserved when a file is opened and re-saved. These fonts appear in the font menu and character palette using a new highlighting color (orange by default), which can also be shown in the document's text.
http://www.nisus.com/pro/releasenotes.php
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

Kino wrote:Font name coloured in orange is a missing font.

Substituted fonts are a different thing.
Thank you, Kino, for pointing out my mistake. Really I meant missing font, as one can see from the context.

Greetings
Henry
karinac

Post by karinac »

Thank you, all, for your answers!
I obviously hadn't studied the release notes - thank you for pointing them out, Hamid!

Excuse me if I'm stubborn: from your answers I still don't understand why NEW documents (File: New) should be pointing out to me that Tahoma-Bold is lacking in my system.
As I think I made clear in my first post: I have never used this font in any of my own documents (nor had it installed on any previous system) and I haven't opened any documents not my own since my (re-)installation of Nisus Writer Pro only a few days ago (until opening Nisus Macros after Kino's answer).
NWPro was then installed on an erased harddrive on which Tiger (4.11) was cleanly installed likewise only a few days ago.
If I remember correctly, the first thing I did after opening this newly installed NWPro was opening a new document to set up language preferences, checking out that I got things back as they were (or better). Already in this first opened document, Tahoma-Bold appeared in orange in the drop-down menu of the character palette.

Well, this is not a serious problem.
I do have one of those and it is likely that I will bother this board with that sooner or later.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

karinac wrote: Excuse me if I'm stubborn: from your answers I still don't understand why NEW documents (File: New) should be pointing out to me that Tahoma-Bold is lacking in my system..
This is because the Nisus New File (dot file) uses Tahoma Bold for some Heading styles. Since all new files are created from this dot file, Tahoma Bold will appear in orange if it is not installed on your system. You can edit the Nisus New File dot file and use another font for those Heading styles.
karinac

Post by karinac »

Thank you, Hamid!
Finally, I now understand.
I have a lot to learn...