Change font by language or script?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
cborn

Change font by language or script?

Post by cborn » 2009-01-12 09:15:48

I am having trouble printing documents containing Arabic from NWP 1.2 Printing seems to fail when NWP does font substitution on a document. So if the default font was Georgia, then Arabic text is substituted with something else. However, the document will appear on the screen normally but it refuses to print. It prints the following at the top of the page:

ERROR: invalidfont
OFFENDING COMMAND: show
STACK:
(A)

If I change the Arabic to Geeza Pro or Al Bayan, an Arabic font, then the document will print normally.

The problem is that I have hundreds of documents interspersed with Arabic and English. Taking the time to hand select each bit of Arabic to change the font will take forever. Is there a way to write a macro or find/replace function that will find all Arabic text in the document and set the font to Geeza Pro, which leaving the English as is? :?

cborn

Re: Change font by language or script?

Post by cborn » 2009-01-12 11:12:43

Further research reveals that the printing problem (when fonts are substituted in the document) is directly related to using a Xerox printer. I will try different printer drivers, but am not optimistic. Any chance the Xerox problem could be an issue addressed as well?

Hamid

Post by Hamid » 2009-01-12 13:37:40

cborn wrote:The problem is that I have hundreds of documents interspersed with Arabic and English. Taking the time to hand select each bit of Arabic to change the font will take forever. Is there a way to write a macro or find/replace function that will find all Arabic text in the document and set the font to Geeza Pro, which leaving the English as is? :?
One way to find all occurrences of any Arabic script in a document is to enter the following expression in the 'Find what' box in PowerFind Pro and press 'Find All' :

Code: Select all

\p{Arabic}
While all Arabic is selected, change the font to an Arabic font.

Ruchama

Post by Ruchama » 2009-01-13 00:16:27

changing language specific characters is described on page 230 of the manual.
basically, use powerfind, and select the language of the text you are searching in the "scripts" submenu of the find window, then select the "AnyArabic" symbol that appeared in the find window and define its attributes (ie those you are searching for, or leave as is if you want all arabic text selected, no matter what attributes).
in the replace window put in the "found" symbol from the "Match" submenu and define its desired attributes.
I hope that helps. (it is basically the same as Hamid wrote, only in the more user-friendly powerfind option.)

cborn

Post by cborn » 2009-01-13 05:58:11

Thank you both for your hints on completing the find/replace by language, it'll come in handy.

For anyone else who happens upon the original problem: it is specific to the Xerox Phaser 6350 printer and any other Xerox printer that uses the same rendering engine. Printing to a WorkCentre 7132 or any HP printer works fine. So that's what we will do for now.