problems with footnote/endnote styles after Word '08 import

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Post Reply
telemachos
Posts: 17
Joined: 2009-08-16 13:59:10

problems with footnote/endnote styles after Word '08 import

Post by telemachos » 2009-08-31 16:44:12

I imported an rtf file created in Word, and the endnotes, all in Word's endnote style, were switched to the "normal" style! I'm unclear as to how to fix this. It appears that Nisus Writer Pro 1.3.1 treats endnote/footnote styles differently from other paragraph styles, and so I'm unable to apply NWP's endnote styles to the existing endnotes.

Any suggestions?

martin
Official Nisus Person
Posts: 4584
Joined: 2002-07-11 17:14:10
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: problems with footnote/endnote styles after Word '08 import

Post by martin » 2009-08-31 21:29:30

I would be surprised if your imported endnotes really had just the "Normal" style applied. They probably have our "Endnotes" style applied, which is based on "Normal". To check, place the selection/caret in an endnote and see if the menu Format > Note Style > Endnote is checked.

telemachos
Posts: 17
Joined: 2009-08-16 13:59:10

Re: problems with footnote/endnote styles after Word '08 import

Post by telemachos » 2009-09-01 03:12:47

martin wrote:I would be surprised if your imported endnotes really had just the "Normal" style applied. They probably have our "Endnotes" style applied, which is based on "Normal". To check, place the selection/caret in an endnote and see if the menu Format > Note Style > Endnote is checked.
What caused me to reach the conclusion that endnotes were in the "Normal" style is that after I imported the Word rtf file, all the endnotes were double-spaced, just like the "Normal" style. Accordingly, I thought I could go into the Style sheet and change the line spacing for just the endnote style to 1 line. When I go into the Style sheet after clicking in an endnote, both "endnote" and "Normal" are selected, so I was sure to select just "endnote," and I changed the line spacing to 1 line via the paragraph palette. Unfortunately, this had no effect on the spacing in the endnotes.

And when I place the selection/caret in in an endnote, Format > Note Style > Endnote shows "endnote", but the paragraph style is still "Normal." How can I change the line spacing of the endnotes independently from that of the main body text? Why are note styles in a different category from paragraph styles?

martin
Official Nisus Person
Posts: 4584
Joined: 2002-07-11 17:14:10
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: problems with footnote/endnote styles after Word '08 import

Post by martin » 2009-09-01 13:53:02

telemachos wrote:When I go into the Style sheet after clicking in an endnote, both "endnote" and "Normal" are selected
Okay, sounds like your endnotes have both the "Normal" and "Endnotes" style applied. This is valid, but perhaps not what you want.
I was sure to select just "endnote," and I changed the line spacing to 1 line via the paragraph palette. Unfortunately, this had no effect on the spacing in the endnotes.
This is expected, as the attributes of the paragraph style ("Normal" here) override those of the note style, which is generally desirable. Consider a "Block Quote" style applied to some text in your endnotes; the indentations from the "Block Quote" style need to override the normal indentations.
How can I change the line spacing of the endnotes independently from that of the main body text?
Probably the easiest is to remove the "Normal" style from all your endnotes. Place the selection in the endnote text area, select all, and then choose the menu Format > Paragraph Style > Remove Style. This will however remove all paragraph styles from your endnotes, which may not be wanted. If you have other paragraph styles in your notes that you want to preserve let me know and I can put together a more complicated solution for you.
Why are note styles in a different category from paragraph styles?
As you've seen, they are not mutually exclusive and you can have both applied to a note. Also, although note styles have all the features of paragraph styles, they also control a great deal more, eg: reference styles, placement, etc.

telemachos
Posts: 17
Joined: 2009-08-16 13:59:10

Re: problems with footnote/endnote styles after Word '08 import

Post by telemachos » 2009-09-01 15:17:39

martin wrote: Probably the easiest is to remove the "Normal" style from all your endnotes. Place the selection in the endnote text area, select all, and then choose the menu Format > Paragraph Style > Remove Style. This will however remove all paragraph styles from your endnotes, which may not be wanted. If you have other paragraph styles in your notes that you want to preserve let me know and I can put together a more complicated solution for you.
Thanks! This was very hepful.

Post Reply