Problems altering the comment font size (bug?)

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
dspedersen

Problems altering the comment font size (bug?)

Post by dspedersen »

Hi

When inserting comments, mostly I'd like to decrease font size of the comment text size. However, highlighting all and next pressing cmd and "-" (minus) makes the document zoom out instead of making the text smaller. Going the opposite direction, pressing cmd and + does make the comment text size bigger.

I reckon this is not the way it's supposed to work. I haven't changed any keyboard shortcuts with respect to that.

On another note, I still can't seem to get the font size for text in the comments to be 10 per default. I have opened a new document, inserted a comment, changed the font size to 10 and then closed the document without saving -- but this is not the way to do it?

Thanks,
Dan

Msc, PhD student
University of Aarhus
Denmark
mrennie

Re: Problems altering the comment font size (bug?)

Post by mrennie »

Hi Dan,

the style change needs to be made in the Nisus New File, the default template file on which every new document in Nisus Writer Pro is based (unless you use a different template). To do that, click on Nisus Writer Pro>Preferences, click on the New File icon and switch to the Advanced tab. Then click on the Edit Nisus New File button. In the document that opens, switch to the Stylesheet View, create a new style called "Comment" and format it to your heart's content. Save the file when you are done, and if you now create a new blank file and add a comment to some text, the comment will automatically inherit the style which you have just created.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

dspedersen wrote:When inserting comments, mostly I'd like to decrease font size of the comment text size. However, highlighting all and next pressing cmd and "-" (minus) makes the document zoom out instead of making the text smaller. Going the opposite direction, pressing cmd and + does make the comment text size bigger.
This is a bit confusing, because the default shortcut for Zoom In isn't actually Command and "+", but rather Command and "=" (which occupies the same physical key as "+"). The defaults are like so:

Zoom In: Command and "="
Zoom Out: Command and "-"
Increase Font Size: Command and "+" (this is Command and Shift and the same key as "=")
Decrease Font Size: Command and "_" (this is Command and Shift and the same key as "-")

So you can see that although the shortcuts use the same physical keys, when you want to change the font size you need to hold the Shift key.
On another note, I still can't seem to get the font size for text in the comments to be 10 per default. I have opened a new document, inserted a comment, changed the font size to 10 and then closed the document without saving -- but this is not the way to do it?
mrennie's advice is spot on- you want to add/edit the Comment paragraph style in your Nisus New File to affect comments you add to new documents.
dspedersen

Post by dspedersen »

Thanks, mrennie, got it to work! Super, and now I know how to customize my default file as well. Superb!
martin wrote:
dspedersen wrote:When inserting comments, mostly I'd like to decrease font size of the comment text size. However, highlighting all and next pressing cmd and "-" (minus) makes the document zoom out instead of making the text smaller. Going the opposite direction, pressing cmd and + does make the comment text size bigger.
This is a bit confusing, because the default shortcut for Zoom In isn't actually Command and "+", but rather Command and "=" (which occupies the same physical key as "+"). The defaults are like so:

Zoom In: Command and "="
Zoom Out: Command and "-"
Increase Font Size: Command and "+" (this is Command and Shift and the same key as "=")
Decrease Font Size: Command and "_" (this is Command and Shift and the same key as "-")

So you can see that although the shortcuts use the same physical keys, when you want to change the font size you need to hold the Shift key.
I still have trouble doing so; it may be because I am using a Danish keyboard without numerical. My keys are different, I believe, compared to the English version, which might be the reason for my confusion and, hence, the unintuitive combos...

If I highlight text and press cmd and "-" the document is zooming out still, and when pressing cmd and "_" nothing happens. My "=" is placed on the same key as 0, so cmd with shift and "=" zooms in, as you write. So, even though I use English menus and OS X, there is still a mismatch... this is how it works on my keyboard (as of now):

Zoom In: Command and "=" same with me, although I have to use shift to get the "="
Zoom Out: Command and "-" Same with me
Increase Font Size: Command and "+" same with me (this is Command and Shift and the same key as "=") This zooms in my document
Decrease Font Size: Command and "_" (this is Command and Shift and the same key as "-") Works here...

So, all in all, the default keyboard shortcuts aren't working that well here, at least they're not that intuitive to me. I would rather have it like:

Zoom In: Command and shift and "+" (however, this triggers the help pdf file so 'alt' instead of shift could work instead)
Zoom Out: Command and shift and "-"
Increase Font Size: Command and "+"
Decrease Font Size: Command and "-"

Well, I will make my own shortcuts; think that'll be much easier! :lol:

Thanks for helping out, guys! :D
Dan

Msc, PhD student
University of Aarhus
Denmark
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Well -

I have a German machine running U.S. software only - so I know what you are in...
But there is an easy way out - just customize your keyboard the way you like it:

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page ... id=ukelele

I did a German Extended - along the shipped U.S. Extended - keyboard once.

Enjoy
HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4