TIP: Using temporary bookmarks

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
ptram

TIP: Using temporary bookmarks

Post by ptram »

Hi,

I just (re)discovered an use of the bookmarks - that is probably their original use: temporarily marking a place for quickly jumping to a different place of a long document, and then returning back. Lately, I've been using bookmars as permanent markers (for example, for use with cross-references) and not for their original aim.

In Nisus Writer, it is very quick and easy to mark a text, and then remove the bookmark.

1) Select a word.
2) Press Cmd-Shift-B to mark it as a bookmark.
3) Go somewhere else in the document, to edit some text.
4) Press Cmd-Shift-N to show the Navigator.
5) Click on the name of the bookmark where you want to return.
6) Click on the minus sign in the Navigator to remove the temporary bookmark.
7) Press Cmd-Shift-N to hide the Navigator and return to the original size and zoom of the editing area.

Paolo
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: TIP: Using temporary bookmarks

Post by martin »

Bookmarks can indeed be very useful for navigating/jumping around your document.

One other tip that may come in handy when navigating: use the menu Edit > Select > Previous Selection. Activating this repeatedly returns one to earlier selections. By default the menu is triggered by the keyboard shortcut Command + Left Square Bracket "[", which I find quickest. This menu might not help too much if you do a lot of editing, since there may be too many selections to cycle back through to make it efficient. Perhaps we should add something that jumps to a more significant previous selection, eg: "Previous Selection in Different Paragraph".
harryhoffner

Post by harryhoffner »

I would like to see the ability with a menu selection or hot key to return to the previously viewed page or paragraph, not just to a previous selection or edit.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Harry, would returning to a previous selection that exists in a different paragraph/page help you? It would be hard for NWP to discern what constitutes a "viewed" paragraph/page of significance.