multiple streams of footnotes

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
cterss

multiple streams of footnotes

Post by cterss »

The use of multiple streams of footnotes is an absolute must for editions of ancient texts.

I'm putting in my vote for this to be added to NWP sooner rather than later!

Thanks!
cj :!:
ptram

Re: multiple streams of footnotes

Post by ptram »

If you can use a stream with arabic numbers, and other streams with custom symbols (as I see in some editions), you can already do it by editing the note mark, and using symbols like ' * ' or ' † '.

Paolo
cterss

Post by cterss »

Dear ptram,

Where is that function? How do I access it? Can I create unique reference symbols for each note?

Thanks,
cjt
cterss

Post by cterss »

http://books.google.com/books?id=R-t0pk ... q=&f=false

Pages 12 and 14 of the above book to give an idea of what I'm trying to do…
ptram

Post by ptram »

If you have a limited number of notes in a flow, I assume you can do it. As a translator, I often deal with three separate streams of notes:

- the numbered one, written by the author;
- one relying on asterisks or small letters, made by the original curator;
- one relying on crosses, that I use as the translator.

It works, even if the second and third flow are not automatic (but numbering restarts at each section, so it is not a major issue).

As for how to create and edit custom note marks, it is a bit long, so I'll point you to page 169 of the User's Guide.

Paolo
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

cterss wrote:Where is that function? How do I access it? Can I create unique reference symbols for each note?
Yes, you can create a unique reference symbol for every footnote and endnote in your document, if you so choose. Simply select the note reference in the document body (or place the selection anywhere inside the note's text) and use the menu Format > Note Style > Set Custom Note Reference.
cterss

Post by cterss »

martin wrote:
cterss wrote:Where is that function? How do I access it? Can I create unique reference symbols for each note?
Yes, you can create a unique reference symbol for every footnote and endnote in your document, if you so choose. Simply select the note reference in the document body (or place the selection anywhere inside the note's text) and use the menu Format > Note Style > Set Custom Note Reference.
I toyed with the function and the problem is that the footnotes are not separate streams, i.e. they show up all mixed together, if you get what I mean. I have note 1. then note a. then notes 2. and 3. and then b. at the bottom of the page when they need to be separate: Notes a.-c. and then notes 1.-3.

Won't work.

I suppose this is hard to do, code-wise. Mellel has this, but it doesn't have line numbering. Go figure. Doomed to be stuck between applications till eternity! :roll:

cj
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

@cterrs: your wish is mine. It would be perfect to have a Mac-application for making critical editions, but it doesn't exist, and I'm afraid it will never exist.

The only application I know which does exactly what you want (and much, much more), is Classical Text Editor, "for Windows and Macintosh with emulated Windows".
rickl

Post by rickl »

The only application I know which does exactly what you want (and much, much more), is Classical Text Editor, "for Windows and Macintosh with emulated Windows".
Wow, that looks amazing. The email-us-if-you-want-to-know-the-price model is a bit alarming, though.
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

If we have to go with Windows, then Nota Bene might be the best option?
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990
harryhoffner

Post by harryhoffner »

All of these workarounds are simply not robust enough for my needs. I second the original post's request for a real capacity for multiple streams like Mellel's. And I don't fancy using a Windows program under emulation either.