NWP Sluggish for a while after opening

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
landi3337

NWP Sluggish for a while after opening

Post by landi3337 »

Having used Nisus since the late-80s (really!), I love it and it's always been my word processor of choice. However, there's a problem I've had for the past few versions that hasn't gone away. When I open the application and immediately start using a document, it's quite slow as though it's doing something busy in the background. If I wait 30 - 60 seconds, it works fine, even on a 500 page document. It's not each time I open a document, but rather each time I re-start the application THEN open a document. Even on very short documents (one sentence long), it will struggle just to move the cursor around for the first 30 or more seconds after the application was started.

Any ideas?

MacBook 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo; 4 GB RAM; NWP 1.4.1; lots of fonts from many languages installed, including many Asian languages, but nothing other that might be strange.

Randy F.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: NWP Sluggish for a while after opening

Post by martin »

Hi Randy- my first guess is that your fonts are causing the slow down after launch. One of the things NWP does in the background after launch is build up the font menu previews. It shouldn't be a big drag on performance, but perhaps your font collection is so extensive that it eats up a lot of time. Another possibility is that your system is being weird about fonts, in which case I'd recommend trying to clear your font caches.

Anyways, to test this hypothesis, disable the font menu previews (in your NWP preferences, under Appearance), and relaunch. Let us know how that goes, thanks.
landi3337

Re: NWP Sluggish for a while after opening

Post by landi3337 »

It appears the fonts were the problem. I don't have a ton of fonts, but many of them are east Asian fonts, mainly Chinese, and I suppose those take time to render. Or perhaps one or more of them have some problems. Anyway, but turning off font rendering, NWP seems to run at its regular speed even when first opening. Thanks for the suggestion.