Line numbers in alternate gutter of facing pages

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
talazem

Line numbers in alternate gutter of facing pages

Post by talazem »

Hello. I am trying to get my line numbers to show in the inside (or outside) margin, or gutter, consistently. At the moment, the line numbering appears to the right side of my text, whether I am looking at an odd page or an even page.

I would like to know if there is some way to have the line numbers be on either the inside or outside of each page, such that the line numbering alternates on being on the right side for odd pages, and on the left side for even pages (for example).

Many thanks for your help.
Hamid

Re: Line numbers in alternate gutter of facing pages

Post by Hamid »

Having line numbers on the same side as page numbers is a feature I would very much like to have, but currently line numbers can be displayed either only on the left or only on the right.

They are also tied to the Divider Line of the Footnotes and Endnotes, appearing on the same side as the Divider Line.

If there are no footnotes or endnotes (or no visible Divider Line), a workaround would be to make two identical copies of the same document; one copy with ‘Right to Left’ box in the Section palette unchecked (which will place line numbers on the left) and another copy with the ‘Right to Left’ box checked (which will place line numbers on the right). Then assemble a copy with line numbers alternating on the left and right.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Hamid has the right of it, there's no option for alternating the placement of line numbers between even/odd pages.
Hamid wrote:They are also tied to the Divider Line of the Footnotes and Endnotes, appearing on the same side as the Divider Line.
This is a roundabout truth. More directly, line numbers are tied to the section's directionality, eg: if the section is set as "Right to Left", line numbers will appear in the right margin for that section. The footnote divider line just happens to be tied to the same section setting. As Hamid mentioned, you can change your section's directionality via the Sections palette.
talazem

Post by talazem »

Is the ability to have alternate line numbering something that may be developed in the future?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

It is indeed a possibility. I already filed the feature as an enhancement request when I read your original post.
talazem

Post by talazem »

Many thanks!