"Couldn't save document."

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
prauz

"Couldn't save document."

Post by prauz »

I recently upgraded to Leopard, from Tiger. Then I upgraded to NWP 1.4.1, from 1.2

I have a folder of Nisus docs (rtf), that I have been working on in 1.2, under Tiger, with no problems.

After the upgrade, when I try to save any of these documents, I get the following message:

Couldn't save document.
The document could not be saved because: The file
"Filename.rtf" could not be saved in folder "Folder".

I have to use Save As..., to replace the original file. Once I've done that, subsequent Saves are okay. Other files, in other folders, do not suffer from this, but I don't know how widespread the problem is.

Files are not locked, permissions are okay, Disk Utility finds no anomalies, but the Console says:

Code: Select all

Nisus Writer Pro[26921] NSDocument called FSPathReplaceObject() and -39 was returned.
Nisus Writer Pro[26921] *** could not write to file because Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=512 UserInfo=0x187890f0 "The file “Filename.rtf” could not be saved in folder “Folder”." 
Googling that call returns various instances in which this seems to happen on Leopard. I haven't been able to find a solution, though.
Are there any known workarounds for this? Thanks.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: "Couldn't save document."

Post by martin »

That's an odd error code to see during a save, -39 is the code for end of file. I'm not sure what could be causing that, and my own googling didn't help find a solution either (though I did see a few others with your same problem in different applications). It sounds like a problem with your system or hard drive, but I'm not sure what exactly.

Can you try recreating that whole folder in the Finder? eg: make a new folder, say "Folder2", move all your RTF files there, trash the original "Folder", and then rename "Folder2" to "Folder". That might fix the problem (or at least workaround it).
prauz

Post by prauz »

I copied one file to a newly created folder, and the problem remains.

As I said, Disk Utility finds no issues with the drive. 'Save As' works fine, so at least I can work around it.
Kino

Post by Kino »

prauz wrote:Are there any known workarounds for this.
Does this work for you?

Code: Select all

$doc = Document.active
if $doc == undefined
	exit
end
if Defined $doc.filePath
	Save As $doc.filePath
else
	Save As
end
Although this macro works just like Save command, it does not call :File:Save. So hopefully you can work around the problem by using it instead of Save, with a shortcut assigned to it.
prauz

Post by prauz »

Thanks for that macro. It's clever and I'm sure it works fine, but I'd prefer to get a warning when something is not as it should be. As it happens only once for each file I have to save, I'll just put up with the occasional "Couldn't save..." dialog.