removing indexing

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
wapo

removing indexing

Post by wapo »

I'm a bit new to NWP, about three weeks on it. I'm indexing a book, but find various problems with the indexing menu which the manual doesn't address. Biggest prob is that the "remove indexing" command (Insert>Index>Remove Indexing) is erratic. Often, it simply does not remove what I tell it to remove, even on repeated tries. It also on at least one occasion misspelled a proper name (though it's correctly spelled in the text I selected) and will neither allow me to correct it or to delete it.

Anyone else having similar problems? All I can see to do is to delete the index I've built, and start again a little wiser. But I lose two hours' work!

Should I forget the Nisus indexer and use different software?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: removing indexing

Post by martin »

Welcome to NWP and the Nisus forums- hopefully we can get things working for you.
wapo wrote:Biggest prob is that the "remove indexing" command (Insert>Index>Remove Indexing) is erratic. Often, it simply does not remove what I tell it to remove, even on repeated tries.
A few things to check:

1. Do you have the proper index style active? Each NWP document can have several indexes, and generally the indexing commands only affect indexing in the active index style. If you have more than one, please make sure that the proper index style is checkmarked in the Indexing menu.

2. Do you have all of the text marked for index inclusion selected when you use the removal command? Just like other formatting commands (eg: fonts), indexing might only be partially removed if you do not have all of the marked text selected.

One thing that might help: you can have NWP highlight indexed text on screen. In your NWP preferences, in the "Appearance" pane, check under "Marked Text": there are two colors associated with indexing.
It also on at least one occasion misspelled a proper name (though it's correctly spelled in the text I selected) and will neither allow me to correct it or to delete it.
How did you index this selected text? If you use the menu "Index As...", then the name in the index will be that given at the point of indexing; it does not automatically update. However, you should be able to use the indexing palette to edit this name.

On the other hand, if you used the regular "Index" menu, then the name in the index will change as the marked text also change (at least, when you rebuild the index).

Hopefully this helps- let us know if you have any other questions.
wapo

Re: removing indexing

Post by wapo »

A splendid response. I'll take some time to digest it and see what happens. Thank you.