Cross-reference to list style in image caption?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
nicka

Cross-reference to list style in image caption?

Post by nicka »

Hello. I'm having a look at Nisus 2.0. There are lots of lovely new features. The automatic production of clickable TOCs in pdf output is particularly great.

One problem. I can't seem to cross-refer to a list style item in an image caption. I've created a list style for figures, and instances of it work fine as cross-reference targets when they are in ordinary text, but when they are in the caption for an image they don't show up in the cross-reference dialogue as possible cross-reference targets. Is it just me, or have I found a bug?
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Re: Cross-reference to list style in image caption?

Post by rmark »

nicka,

I'm sorry you experience difficulties with Nisus Writer Pro.

I'm having difficulty with your description. Please send a sample file to me at <support@nisus.com>. Be sure to indicate in the file what it is you hope to accomplish: which images and captions don't work.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
nicka

Post by nicka »

Ok. Sending it now.

Sorry if the description is opaque. The problem is simple: I can't create a cross-reference to a list-style item when that list style item is itself in an image caption.
To recreate the problem:
1) Create a list style for image captions, as on p 49 of User's Guide.
2) Insert an image.
3) Right-click image and select 'Add caption to image"
4) Put insertion caret in caption text and in list palette select the list style created in (1) above.

At this stage you will have a file containing an image with an autonumbered caption saying something like 'Figure 1" (depending on how you set up the list style in (1)). Now we want to try to cross-refer to this autonumbered caption, so:

5) Put insertion caret elsewhere in document and choose Insert>Cross-reference.
6) At top of dialogue, choose 'List item' in dropdown selector.

Now I hit the problem: the instance of the list style that I want to link to is not listed. Instances that are outside of image captions ARE listed, so I infer that the problem is with linking into an image caption.

I hope that is clearer.
Anyway, the sample file is on its way.
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

Thank you for the explanation and the file. I'll examine it in the next couple of days (Memorial Day here in the US and all that), and reply privately.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
nicka

Post by nicka »

Sure. There's no great hurry.

Many thanks for looking into this.
nicka

Post by nicka »

For anyone following this:

rmark was kind enough to follow up on this by email. It turns out that I was right that list style instances in captions do not show up as potential cross-reference targets. (And this is a general limitation on text and callout boxes, of which image captions are a subset.)

However rmark also found a solution:

1) Insert list item in caption
2) Bookmark list item
3) Cross-refer to bookmark

This works nicely, with the cross-reference to the bookmark mirroring the numbering of the list item (which is what I wanted to achieve in the first place). In other words, you can achieve the standard set-up, with the label (e.g 'Figure 1') where it ought to be, in the image caption, and references throughout the document to that caption by its number which are automatically kept up to date. That is, something like this:

[IMAGE]
Figure 1: A very convincing graph

In figure 1 above...

(Many thanks again, rmark.)
perran

Post by perran »

I am puzzled by this. I find that the x-reference turns up in the list style box : as in my other posting I cannot always get the Figuire list sequence to work …
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

perran wrote:I am puzzled by this. I find that the x-reference turns up in the list style box
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying exactly, but we did fix the cross-reference insertion dialog so that list items appear there directly, without any workarounds.
perran

Post by perran »

Sorry - I was not clear. I meant that x referencing works. I did not see that you had fixed it. :)