Font Categories

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Daniel Siegel

Font Categories

Post by Daniel Siegel »

I notice that the font list now includes categories such as "Favourite Fonts" and "Recent Fonts." I see how fonts get included in the latter, since that used to be the top few fonts in the standard list. But how do fonts get to become favourites?
Hamid

Re: Font Categories

Post by Hamid »

'Favorites' is a collection of fonts that you 'Add to Favorites' in the system-wide Font pane available in Cocoa apps (by pressing Command-t).
You can add fonts to 'Favorites' collection by dragging and dropping their names from the Typeface or Family column to 'Favorites' in the Collection column or by selecting font names in the Typeface column and applying 'Add to Favorites' from the gear menu.

You can also add your own collections to group together certain categories of fonts, for example, Hebrew, Arabic, etc. and they will also appear under that named collection in the Fonts menu in NWP.
Daniel Siegel

Post by Daniel Siegel »

Thanks, Hamid, but I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing.
Yes, I can create a collection called "Favorites" in Font Book and move fonts into it. I don't seem to be able to that, even using the little pop-down menu, when I activate the font list using command -t.
However, that isn't the same as what Nisus itself has in its list, which is called "Favorite Fonts" and doesn't show when I open fontbook or the font list within the application.
So I'm asking how do fonts get added to the Nisus category called Favorite Fonts?
Lanx

Post by Lanx »

The manual states:

"Favorite Fonts: Displays the fonts you have added to your Favorites collection using
the menu command Gear > Add to Favorites in the Fonts panel." (p. 445)

and:

"Nisus Writer Pro groups your fonts as they are organized in the Font Book application. You can
choose to display:
• All Fonts
• Document Fonts (only and all those appearing in the active document)
• English (those fonts designated as English, or whatever language is the primary language
you have set for the Mac OS)
• whatever fonts you designate as your Favorite Fonts using the Fonts panel
• your Recent Fonts (which displays the 10 most recent fonts you have used). " (p. 92)

So you should be able by adding fonts to the Favorites collection using the font panel to limit the font menu to these chosen fonts.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

Favorites, which appears in NWP 2.0 font menu in the top five, is specific to Fonts panel and is there by default. It cannot be deleted by pressing the minus sign. If you create a collection in Font Book called Favorites, it will also appear alphabetically in Fonts panel after 'Favorites' (the one which can't be deleted) and 'Recently Used'. Your Favorites will also appear in NWP menu but not in the top five. It will appear alphabetically after 'Recent Fonts', separated by a hairline.

For all collections, apart from Favorites, when I create a new collection or add fonts to an existing collection in either the Fonts panel or Font Book, the change is immediately reflected in both, and at the same time NWP 2.0 font menu is updated live without me having to quit the application. All changes in the three places happen simultaneously.
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

Now this is odd. How do I delete a favorite font? I added one for experiment, and though I hit any key combination it’s still around unhanged. I can change its name but I can’t make it disappear. It looks down on me undaunted.

Greetings, Henry.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

Just select the font that you want to remove from Favorites and drag and drop it back on 'All Fonts'.
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

Thank you, Hamid.

Henry.
Daniel Siegel

Post by Daniel Siegel »

Thanks, Hamid and Lanx. I hate to admit this, but the reason I couldn't find the answer is that I didn't have the new manual and hadn't realized that one was available. All is well now, at least as far as adding fonts to favourites goes.
Lanx

Post by Lanx »

You find the complete manual in the help menu.