Lion renders Nisus 1.4.1 unusable with broken tables?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
ccBjorn

Lion renders Nisus 1.4.1 unusable with broken tables?

Post by ccBjorn »

Upgraded to Lion a few days ago, using 1.4.1 seemed to be OK apart from broken link to mail, and minor instability.

But now I discovered that Tables are totally broken with Lion/1.4.1, which renders it unusable. I can not cut/copy/paste tables at all, and any attempt to editing tables tends to crash Nisus.

Is this a known issue, is it fixed in 2.0, and will there be a bug fix for 1.4?

(Currently I am not willing to upgrade to 2.0)
dshan

Re: Lion renders Nisus 1.4.1 unusable with broken tables?

Post by dshan »

As far as I'm aware Nisus do not support NWP 1.4.1 on Lion. 1.4.1 is obsolete and no longer being updated. 2.0 is the current supported release and as far as I know it's the only version that has been, or will be, tested with Lion and updated for compatibility when required (see the NWP 2.0.1 beta).

You are of course free to stay on NWP 1.4.1 but in that case the maximum version of Mac OS X you should run it with is whatever release was current when 1.4.1 was the current version of NWP (10.6.x?) That's exactly the problem with staying on obsolete releases of software, you can't expect them to work with the latest versions of operating systems or other applications. If they do it's good luck, if they don't it's tough luck.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

NWP 1.4.1 and Lion do seem to have a few troubles that aren't just cosmetic. Because of this we have decided to produce NWP version 1.4.2 that will be compatible with Lion. This update will be free, but it will not add any of the new features found in Pro 2.0. This Lion-compatible version will likely be the last free update to version 1.4.x.

In the meantime, while you are waiting for Pro 1.4.2, you might use the Pro 2.0.1 public beta, which runs on Lion perfectly well.
ccBjorn

Post by ccBjorn »

That is really good customer service! I am writing the final parts of my PhD thesis at the moment - and I was planning to evaluate my future software after that (choosing between Nisus Pro, Express or Pages, how oddly it may sound, I am actually considering downgrading to Express due to its more simplistic approach).

My advice for Nisus is (for what its worth):
1. present some future roadmap for which direction you are going, e.g, fullscreen in Lion, iCloud, iPad versions etc.
2. do not let Express be just a crippled version of Nisus Pro, instead focus on Express as a Zen-version of a word processor with slick, streamlined and uncluttered interface. (I actually loved the early versions of Nisus Express for its almost Zen-like approach, although Pro is really good, I often miss the more simplistic experience of the Express).
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

For users who chose not to purchase Pro 2.0, and are using Pro 1.4.1 on Lion, we now have a free update to Pro 1.4.2, which fixes Lion incompatibilities.
Dirk_Barends

Post by Dirk_Barends »

Thanks for NWP 1.4.2
Control again over the appeareance of plain text files, like it was in Nisus 'Classic'
is very much appreciated!

Dirk Barends