Removing Font(s) from document(s) (and FontExplorerXPro)

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
lindas2013

Removing Font(s) from document(s) (and FontExplorerXPro)

Post by lindas2013 »

I'm using NWP 2.1.7. I've noticed that sometimes a font that was originally in the document is no longer available. The font changes to red in the Document Fonts list.

If I don't want the font in the document anymore, how can I totally Find it and Remove all instances of it?

I tried adding NWP to FontExplorerXPro6 list of applications in their Font Requests. But now, lots of my documents keep asking me for fonts that I have removed from my system. Particularly, Apple "Sierra" fonts in the Library/Fonts folder that I removed via Kurt Lang documentation. Nothing else uses these fonts and I've always deleted some of the useless fonts with no issues.

If NWP is in the App list for Font Requests, it makes opening documents a pain. I never know which document has references to those fonts that I never even used! (like koko something or other, etc)

Is my only option to not have NWP added for Font Requests? It would make it really nice is a document was missing a certain font and I got Notice so I could activate it for that computer session (or permanently). At least then I could also 'see' the font in use and remove it if I want.

I hope I didn't make this too confusing!
Thanks for any help! :)
Þorvarður

Re: Removing Font(s) from document(s) (and FontExplorerXPro)

Post by Þorvarður »

lindas2013 wrote:If I don't want the font in the document anymore, how can I totally Find it and Remove all instances of it?
You can use Find & Replace to remove all references to a missing font in a document. Make a Find All search for the missing font and replace it with a font that is installed. If you need help with this, let me know.
lindas2013

Post by lindas2013 »

Yes, listing the steps would help me.

I have tried using Find and Replace and selected Attributes, but not sure how to proceed. Clicking the gear doesn't give me Font choices.

I have looked around in the Macros and tried a few things, but it just gets confusing and I think it's looking at the Find and Replace window and I have not set it right?

Here's the thing:: In the Font list it shows a certain font, like in a recent document "MacBoo" it's shown at the top in Red.
Upon looking at/examining the document I do not "see" any text with this Font. So I can't select something I can't find. (Makes it even harder if the document is really long.)

How do I find the text that the Font List shows is in the document (and it asks for it if I have FontExplorerXPro set up to take Nisus requests), BUT I can't find it to select it or anything!

I hope you understand my conundrum. Step by step would help, especially keeping in mind, I can't find it to select it.
Thanks!
Þorvarður

Post by Þorvarður »

Do you have a macro called "Select by Font"? It will show you all the fonts in the document and allow you to select the one you want to get rid of. When it has been selected in the document, change it to another font.

Let me know if it works for you.
Þorvarður

Post by Þorvarður »

Here are the traditional steps that you can take to replace one font with another font.

1. Enter the bubbles you see on the screenshot.
1.png
1.png (51.39 KiB) Viewed 12217 times
2. Select the 'AnyText' bubble and assign it the missing font from Format > Font > All Fonts.

3. Select the 'Found' wild card and assign it the font you want to replace it with from Format > Font > All Fonts.
The screenshot above shows how Garamond is replaced by Times.

If you have many fonts you need to replace, then use the attached macro as template. Just copy and paste the whole Find and Replace line, then select the new 'AnyText' bubble in the macro and replace it with another of your uninstalled fonts from Format > Font > All Fonts.
2.png
2.png (76.34 KiB) Viewed 12217 times
Let me know if this works for you.
Attachments
Garamond to Times.nwm.zip
(2.13 KiB) Downloaded 484 times
lindas2013

Post by lindas2013 »

Þorvarður wrote:Do you have a macro called "Select by Font"? It will show you all the fonts in the document and allow you to select the one you want to get rid of. When it has been selected in the document, change it to another font.

Let me know if it works for you.
(First, thank you for your posts!)

Yes, I have that macro and it works for Fonts that are in the document, but not the ones that show in Red in the Document Fonts list. I'll try to post the image files. So that you know what i mean.
missingfont.png
missingfont.png (30.14 KiB) Viewed 12178 times
See the font in Red?

It doesn't show in the Macro:
selectfontmacro.png
selectfontmacro.png (33.07 KiB) Viewed 12178 times
So how do I find it in the document? See my dilemma?

Thx
lindas2013

Post by lindas2013 »

Þorvarður wrote:Here are the traditional steps that you can take to replace one font with another font.

1. Enter the bubbles you see on the screenshot.
1.png
2. Select the 'AnyText' bubble and assign it the missing font from Format > Font > All Fonts.

3. Select the 'Found' wild card and assign it the font you want to replace it with from Format > Font > All Fonts.
The screenshot above shows how Garamond is replaced by Times.

If you have many fonts you need to replace, then use the attached macro as template. Just copy and paste the whole Find and Replace line, then select the new 'AnyText' bubble in the macro and replace it with another of your uninstalled fonts from Format > Font > All Fonts.
2.png
Let me know if this works for you.
My biggest question is how did you get the "Garamond" to show up in the Find box and how did you get the "Times" to show up in the Replace box?

Exactly how do you "Assign" it to the search? With the Find/Replace box open? And then clicking on the Font (Red or not) in the Document Font List?

Sorry for my lack of being able to follow....
lindas2013

Post by lindas2013 »

I found out how to get the Macro Select by Font to work with the missing Red font.

If I highlight the missing font in the Document Font list, it will show up in the Macro box with a checkbox! It sometimes says, "substituted with Times...."
So I check that box and it highlights an area that has been substituted with Times. And I can then choose another font!

learning....!
Þorvarður

Post by Þorvarður »

I found out how to get the Macro Select by Font to work with the missing Red font.
I'm glad to hear that.
how did you get the "Garamond" to show up in the Find box and how did you get the "Times" to show up in the Replace box?
If you are referring to the red arrows and "Garamond" and "Times" in the Find & Replace screenshot, that was just done in Preview, when I edited the screenshot.
Exactly how do you "Assign" it to the search?
I described that in point 2 and 3.

Again:
a) Open the Find & Replace box
b) Make sure you are using PowerFind, which gives you the 'bubbles.'
c) Put the wild card 'AnyText' from the gear menu into the Find field.
1.jpg
1.jpg (39.74 KiB) Viewed 12157 times
d) Now double click with the mouse on the bubble 'AnyText' to select it
e) While it's already selected, go to Nisus' Format menu and choose the missing font from the submenus "Font" and "All Fonts."
2.jpg
2.jpg (43.21 KiB) Viewed 12157 times
f) Now put the wild card bubble 'Found' from the gear menu into the Replace field.
3.jpg
3.jpg (78.9 KiB) Viewed 12157 times
g) Double click on it to select it. While it's selected, do the same as you did in e), with the difference thought, that this time you choose Times (or whatever installed font you would like to replace the uninstalled font with.)

You can do this with every missing font you want to get rid of from your documents, but as I already said, if you have MANY missing fonts, that will be tedious in the long run. Therefore I macroized the Find & Replace for you and uploaded it as a macro template for you to use. It contains 1 Find and Replace action. The Replace part already contains "Times", so you only have to double click on the 'AnyText' bubble and select a new missing font, using the same method as has already been described.
Next time you encounter a missing font, duplicate the Find and Replace line in the macro and change the 'AnyText' bubble to mach the missing font, using the same method as has already been described. After you have done this, the macro will search for two missing fonts, and so on, depending on how many Find and Replace actions you have added.
Þorvarður

Post by Þorvarður »

To make it particularly easy for you, you don't even have to install the macro. Nisus allows you to run macros without installing them. You just select the macro commands, and while they're selected, choose "Run Selection as Macro" from the Macro menu.
4.png
4.png (26.63 KiB) Viewed 12157 times
This will save you a lot of time and trouble.

I see you have not downloaded the macro yet…
lindas2013

Post by lindas2013 »

Thank you so, so much!
I downloaded the macro, and I'm going to print out your instructions. I apologize for overlooking your macro to download.

Thanks again for all your time. I will try this as soon as I can. I will post back, so you know.

Thanks!