lossing the formating of NWC on pro

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
alekrihabib

lossing the formating of NWC on pro

Post by alekrihabib »

I've try to transfer a file (arabic) from NWC into NWP, but all the formating were lost ( plain text) , my machine is OSX 10.4, and tryied on both NW pro versions 2 and 1.4. where as on NWX (express) ver 2.7 the formating are there except few of signs and characters.

Any suggestion how to get my formating on NWP back
Ruchama

Re: lossing the formating of NWC on pro

Post by Ruchama »

sorry for my ignorance but what is NWC?
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

I cannot reproduce the problem, but I am on Snow Leopard 10.6.8.
If I recall correctly this was not a problem in Tiger either.
If you can zip a sample Nisus Writer Classic file with the problem and post it here I can have a look at it.
Ruchama

Post by Ruchama »

Could it be that you have your file name in arabic? At some stage there was a problem when transferring files from pre OX system (or classic) when filenames had to be in english in order to be properly read.
just a guess..
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

NWC is Nisus Writer Classic. If no formatting appears at all in the imported NWC file, I would guess that the file has lost its resource fork, which is where NWC stored all formatting information. Did you move/copy the file in question between machines at some point? That can cause the resource fork to be lost. You'll want to go back to the original machine/file and zip/archive it beforehand, then move/copy it.

If the formatting is partially maintained, then perhaps there is an importer error. You should send us an example document (or post it here). Thanks.
alekrihabib

Post by alekrihabib »

Many thanks for your reply all

what I did was :

1- Formatted (erase ) the flash (memory stick) in OS 10.4 machine
2- Copy the NWC file from another machine ( OS 9.2 ) into the flash
3- Openned the file in OS 10.4 with NWpro V2.0
4- Got Error reading message " There are fonts are not available on this computer or to OS X"
5- Another message stating " the following fonts are not available A1Fonts,Y--""!, .++==, etc"
6- All the fonts were rabish and the file could not be read
7- When the Encoding change from Automaic into Arabic the formating was lost and it was plain text format
8- When openned in NWX, again got the above two warning messages, but it was able read the file with its original formatting except for small letters, numbers and brackets were lost or reverseed
9- I did coppied some fonts from some old machines and pasted then in OS X 10.4 but here I lost even the file in NWX and the file become a chineese one and the NWpro were able to read it as plain text only
10- So I did removed what I did for that fonts added to get back to my NWX file

thank you again for seeing my issue :?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble understanding exactly what you did and what the results were. My advice would probably be more accurate if you could zip/archive one of these files and send it to me at:

But, from what I gather, it sounds like your NWC classic files make use of old Classic fonts that have custom text encodings. Basically these kinds of fonts have non-standard text encodings that are not compatible with Mac OSX (or Unicode). If you really need to fix these files, you'll have to provide a complete mapping between the old font's encoding and Unicode. For example, your font might display an Arabic character instead of a left bracket "[". You'd have to detail out all these conversions in a macro, which could then be run on your imported files to fix them for modern usage.
alekrihabib

Post by alekrihabib »

Finally I could get back almost all the lost fonts in my old NWC when I tried to copy the fonts from the another machines to my OS X machine, but now the new version of NW pro V2.0 worked fine with my old file except the comments still in English, in my old file they are in Arabic. the numbers of pages in arabic and some numbers are in arabic as well, the only thing remains is the comments numbers, all in English
any suggestion ?

regards,

:D
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

I assume by "comments numbers" if you mean note numbers.
The options for note numbering can be set from the Style Sheet.
For footnote numbering, select "Footnote" in Style Sheet view under "Note Styles".
At "Number Format", there is a disclosure triangle which reveals a drop-down menu.
Apply "Arabic – Indic from the drop-down menu.
NoteNumberingOptions.gif
NoteNumberingOptions.gif (14.08 KiB) Viewed 10195 times
alekrihabib

Post by alekrihabib »

Many thanks Hamed for your valuable help,
now my notes is changed into arabic numbers

Regards,

:lol: