Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Problems opening files/alternative importer always needed? 
Author Message

Joined: 2011-04-21 05:31:15
Posts: 26
The problem has returned to me with a vengeance. This time it affects both .doc and .docx files - previously it was only .doc files - and none of the login/logout moves seem to work this time. The Mac importer opens the files but I lose all the footnotes, which are essential to the work I should be doing. Any suggestions?


2012-12-29 17:46:58
Profile

Joined: 2012-12-13 06:14:42
Posts: 8
I seem to be losing headers as well ... Though I can't say for sure that is new behavior.


2012-12-29 18:48:58
Profile

Joined: 2011-04-21 05:31:15
Posts: 26
Yes, I have no headers either. The way I've found to retain my formatting is to open the document in Pages, export as a Word document, then I can open normally in NWP. I've no idea why documents created by Pages would cause NWP's importers to behave differently but it's working for me.


2013-01-01 18:46:54
Profile

Joined: 2012-12-13 06:14:42
Posts: 8
skcryan wrote:
Yes, I have no headers either. The way I've found to retain my formatting is to open the document in Pages, export as a Word document, then I can open normally in NWP. I've no idea why documents created by Pages would cause NWP's importers to behave differently but it's working for me.


LOL ... it that isn't the most "tortured" work around of the week, I'm not sure what is.

I'll do some added testing later today or tomorrow and see if I can come up with an idea or two.


2013-01-04 05:54:28
Profile

Joined: 2011-04-21 05:31:15
Posts: 26
Quote:
... it that isn't the most "tortured" work around of the week, I'm not sure what is.

Definitely an embarrassingly tortured work around, but guess what? From today, all my files open normally in NWP. I can just click on a doc/docx file and it opens with all the originally formatting, headers, comments, footnotes, intact. The first time I've been able to do this for over a month.
It's almost as if the work around of exporting through Pages and then opening in NWP somehow cleaned up whatever the problem was and started up a healthy NWP again. I've had this issue for well over a year. I have no idea what causes it and no real idea of how to get rid of it, except that somehow getting NWP to import files properly - either through a different user account or through the tortured Pages work around - seems to reset NWP and get things working smoothly ... until the next time.


2013-01-04 18:32:01
Profile
Official Nisus Person
User avatar

Joined: 2003-02-11 10:49:05
Posts: 428
Location: Solana Beach, CA
Quote:

Definitely an embarrassingly tortured work around, but guess what? From today, all my files open normally in NWP. I can just click on a doc/docx file and it opens with all the originally formatting, headers, comments, footnotes, intact. The first time I've been able to do this for over a month.
It's almost as if the work around of exporting through Pages and then opening in NWP somehow cleaned up whatever the problem was and started up a healthy NWP again. I've had this issue for well over a year. I have no idea what causes it and no real idea of how to get rid of it, except that somehow getting NWP to import files properly - either through a different user account or through the tortured Pages work around - seems to reset NWP and get things working smoothly ... until the next time.


This is a fascinating thought: "It's almost as if the work around of exporting through Pages and then opening in NWP somehow cleaned up whatever the problem was". It would take an engineer to figure out what might have happened, not a tech support guy. But I'm glad to learn the situation has improved.

_________________
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.


2013-01-20 00:50:12
Profile ICQ

Joined: 2010-11-06 08:10:38
Posts: 23
Nothing new to report, merely entering this status report to bump the thread. Many many months now gone with no further input or help from Nisus. No reaction at all, in fact, since the brief reply I cut and pasted above. This is hardly a benchmark for responsive customer service. Are they even aware that this problem still exists??

To summarize -- NWP is working well with rtf files and any documents produced natively within NWP. However, it is completely unable to open doc (much less docx) files without the error messages mentioned above. When I tell it to "retry," it often succeeds in opening a doc file, but with formatting / stylistics all wonky.

This situation is forcing me to work within Word -- and that is precisely what I had wanted to avoid in the decision to purchase NWP. Help, please. Please?


2013-03-29 04:54:42
Profile

Joined: 2011-04-21 05:31:15
Posts: 26
The problem opening files is back and won't go away. Most doc or docx files refuse to open except on the retry, where they lose all formatting. The Libre Office thing is back too.


2013-05-12 23:47:51
Profile

Joined: 2012-12-13 06:14:42
Posts: 8
skcryan wrote:
The problem opening files is back and won't go away. Most doc or docx files refuse to open except on the retry, where they lose all formatting. The Libre Office thing is back too.


Yes, I'm seeing the same thing again. I tried the "log in and use NMP under a separate account" trick and had some success. But it's not reliable.


2013-05-13 04:28:10
Profile

Joined: 2011-04-21 05:31:15
Posts: 26
It's definitely unpredictable. After a long time with no success using this method, I restarted, logged into to another user account, started up NWP, logged back into my usual user account, and everything is working perfectly again.


2013-05-14 17:57:56
Profile
Official Nisus Person
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-11 17:14:10
Posts: 4251
Location: San Diego, CA
We've just made available Nisus Writer Pro version 2.0.5 which should fix this intermittent problem with the DOC/DOCX importer.
This update is free for all current license holders of Pro 2.x.

• Download Version 2.0.5
• Release Notes.

This update can also be downloaded via the menu Nisus Writer Pro > Check For Updates.
If you purchased Nisus Writer Pro through the Mac App Store, the update will be available there as soon as it clears Apple's submission process.


2013-09-10 13:26:36
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software