NWP 2.0.2

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
exegete77

NWP 2.0.2

Post by exegete77 »

Well, that wasn’t so good. I downloaded 2.0.2 and did the usual Replace (2.0.1) when installing. However, it wiped out my Nisus New File.dot file. So I had to recreate. Had it taken any longer i would have fired up my backup drive.

But this is the first time that upgrading with NWP has done this. Is there something happening that shouldn’t?
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990
Hamid

Re: NWP 2.0.2

Post by Hamid »

With NWP 2.0.2, the application support folder name has changed to "Nisus Writer Pro" not just "Nisus Writer". If the old folder exists, old materials (including New File) are moved and a link to the new folder should have been created.
Maybe that link failed to be created. Your New File should still be in the folder "Nisus Writer" in Application Support.
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

Thanks. I found those two folders in the Application Support folder. But the Nisus Writer folder has the .dot file but it is only an alias that points to the new file in the Nisus Writer Pro folder. Thus, the link seems to go in the opposite direction. So the next question is, is it okay to delete the Nisus Writer folder now?

And even more strange: when I try to open it, using CTRL+click to show possible applications, there are two instances of NWP.app.

So, it looks like I will restore that file from the backup.
Attachments
Two NWP apps.jpg
Two NWP apps.jpg (44.97 KiB) Viewed 13316 times
Mac user since 1990
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

I restored the New Nisus New File.dot from my backup, in the Nisus Writer Folder. Interestingly, then when I went to Nisus Writer Pro folder, the alias there was updated (i.e. the alias went in the right direction). So now, seems to work correctly.

Thanks, Hamid.
Mac user since 1990
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Sorry you had trouble with the update; glad you got it working. I just retested the update process, and it created the proper folder links, so there must be something special about your configuration. Perhaps this:
But the Nisus Writer folder has the .dot file but it is only an alias that points to the new file in the Nisus Writer Pro folder.
I'm trying to think why your Nisus New File would itself already be an alias, but I'm not sure. Maybe that alias and the folder links got NWP confused somehow.
exegete77 wrote:So the next question is, is it okay to delete the Nisus Writer folder now?
If that folder is just a link, then yes, it's no problem. The only reason NWP makes the link is so other versions of Nisus Writer (eg: Express or older versions of Pro) can find the new folder. If you don't intend to run older versions, then you can safely delete the link.
And even more strange: when I try to open it, using CTRL+click to show possible applications, there are two instances of NWP.app.
It's possible that you have an extra copy of NWP on your hard drive somewhere. If you launch both, you can use the Dock's contextual menu Options > Show in Finder to figure out where they are.
lgreen

Post by lgreen »

Hi Martin,

I had exactly the same experience as described here by exegete77 down to the alias - maybe there is something in the installer? Anyway restoring the .dot file from time-machine resolved the problem... but it isn't a 'one-off' (ok it is a 'two-off')
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

martin wrote: It's possible that you have an extra copy of NWP on your hard drive somewhere. If you launch both, you can use the Dock's contextual menu Options > Show in Finder to figure out where they are.
Thanks, Martin. A couple follow on questions.

When I look in the Applications folder, there is only one instance of NWP. When I do a Spotlight search, only one instance of NWP appears. And this is the first time I have ever seen two instances in the Ctrl+click action.

Further question: What do we do with the two folders in Application Support? Should we delete the Nisus Writer folder and keep the Nisus Writer Pro folder? Or do we have to keep both?
Mac user since 1990
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

exegete77 wrote:When I look in the Applications folder, there is only one instance of NWP. When I do a Spotlight search, only one instance of NWP appears. And this is the first time I have ever seen two instances in the Ctrl+click action.
OSX is responsible for populating that menu, so it must be finding another copy of NWP somewhere. You can launch both of them from the menu, and use the Dock's contextual menu Options > Show in Finder to see where they are.
Further question: What do we do with the two folders in Application Support? Should we delete the Nisus Writer folder and keep the Nisus Writer Pro folder? Or do we have to keep both?
If you're only using one copy of NWP (the latest version), and no older versions of Pro or Express, you may safely remove the old folder that points to the new folder. It only exists to provide compatibility for users that might launch older versions.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

lgreen wrote:I had exactly the same experience as described here by exegete77 down to the alias - maybe there is something in the installer?
The updater/installer doesn't do anything to the "Nisus New File.dot" template directly, just the enclosing folder. The template was an alias for you as well? I don't suppose you remember doing anything special with your Nisus New File at any point?
vitaka

Post by vitaka »

I having the same problem. My usual new file format changed after I installed 2.0.2.
I found the Application Support folder but it is empty.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Installer? I just downloaded the usual zip file, dragged NWP 2.0.2 into the apps folder, and told it to replace the old NWP. It asked me at some point (when I launched it next?) whether I wanted to replace a macro and I said "Right jolly ho! Go for it my bonny lassie!" Seamless.

I just checked the App support folder and found that the NW folder has been duplicated and there's now an NWP folder too. I'm not sure what this signifies. Is it okay to throw out the NW folder now leaving he NWP one?

Cheers, geoff
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

Yes, it’s OK. I did it, and survived. It’s there in case you have Express or an older copy of NWP along with 2.0.2.

Greetings, Henry.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

vitaka wrote:I found the Application Support folder but it is empty.
That can't be right, NWP always places a few resources into the Application Support folder. Are you sure you're looking at the right folder? It should be in your home folder, under:

~/Library/Application Support/Nisus Writer Pro/

One way to see the proper folder: inside NWP, use the menu Macros > Show Macros Folder in Finder. The Macros folder lives inside NWP's application support subfolder.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

greenmorpher wrote:Installer? I just downloaded the usual zip file, dragged NWP 2.0.2 into the apps folder, and told it to replace the old NWP.
You're right, the term installer isn't quite right, though some users might perceive the automatic updater as a kind of installer. No matter how one updates, it's just a matter of replacing one copy of NWP with another.
I just checked the App support folder and found that the NW folder has been duplicated and there's now an NWP folder too. I'm not sure what this signifies. Is it okay to throw out the NW folder now leaving he NWP one?
There aren't actually two folders; one is just an alias for another. You could throw out the alias, but keeping it doesn't do any harm. Personally I'd just leave it intact in case you ever launch an older version of NWP, so it can discover your most recent settings.
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

With the two instances of NWP showing in the Ctrl+Click scenario. If the file I do that with is .rtf, then only one instance of NWP shows up. If it is .doc, .odt, .mellel, then NWP shows up twice. The only application to ever do that, and only since upgrading to 2.0.2.
Mac user since 1990