Urgetn questions

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
disfasia

Urgetn questions

Post by disfasia »

1. I have been using NWE for a few years and before that the Pro version. Should I switch back? Why are there two different versions?

2. I have a book manuscript with photos--how can I format all the photos in the document to one specific size? Can I do this in one action or must I do this photo by photo? NWE or Pro for this?

Thanks in advance!
exegete77

Re: Urgetn questions

Post by exegete77 »

In regard to the first, I would say use NWP. The extra features may become part of your regular tool usage.
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990
disfasia

Re: Urgent questions

Post by disfasia »

I guess I don't want to have to be switching between NWP and NWE--the last time I had to switch to NWE because Nisus was not working on NWP any longer...
dshan

Re: Urgent questions

Post by dshan »

disfasia wrote:I guess I don't want to have to be switching between NWP and NWE--the last time I had to switch to NWE because Nisus was not working on NWP any longer...
What on earth are you talking about? Nisus have been working on NWP ever since it was released, they have never stopped working on it. I can think of no reason why you would have to switch from Pro to Express. I've used both Express and Pro, initially Express because back then that was all that was available, but once Pro was released I stopped using Express (aside from some help I occasionally give a relative who uses it) and I have never had any reason to go back to it.

There are two versions of Nisus because not everyone needs all the features of Pro and Express is cheaper, but Express came first and shares a lot of code with Pro.
disfasia

Post by disfasia »

I have been using Nisus for about 15 years and I can assure you that when I had the version before NWE, it was perhaps named differently I cannot remember, but there was NO UPDATE for it and I was instructed by the people at Nisus to get NWE. I can assure you I did not make this up and I disliked going over to a lighter version...this was about 5 years ago. That is exactly what I am talking about.
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

Nisus Classic was used on System 6-9. Updates to that ended when OS X development took over.

When Nisus moved to OS X, they initially introduced Nisus Writer Express. But they had always intended to work on the Nisus Writer Pro version. I had tried NWE but found some things not included that I needed, and so I waited for NWP. Excellent piece of software.
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

Disfasia, I think there is a bit of confusion on your part. I suspect that you have never used "Nisus Writer Pro". There are three products:
  • Nisus Writer (now called "Nisus Writer Classic"): This is what you would have been using 15 years ago.
  • Nisus Writer Express: This is the "lightweight" version of Nisus Writer for OSX.
  • Nisus Writer Pro: This is a more powerful version of Nisus Writer for OSX.
Nisus Writer Classic is indeed no longer being developed, and since it only runs under Classic Mac OS it might be hard to find computers that can even run it. Also I wouldn't recommend it anymore because the resulting files do not support Unicode.

To address your second question: There is no built in feature to change all images at once. It actually is possible to write a macro to change all the images in a document to have the same width, and I have written such a macro. But the version of the macro that I have written relies on features of the macro language that I believe are not implemented in Nisus Writer Express, so one would need to have Nisus Writer Pro.

Anyhow the macro can be found here: http://www.nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4812
philip
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

phspaelti wrote:
  • Nisus Writer (now called "Nisus Writer Classic"): This is what you would have been using 15 years ago.
  • Nisus Writer Express: This is the "lightweight" version of Nisus Writer for OSX.
  • Nisus Writer Pro: This is a more powerful version of Nisus Writer for OSX.
Nisus Writer Classic is indeed no longer being developed, and since it only runs under Classic Mac OS it might be hard to find computers that can even run it. Also I wouldn't recommend it anymore because the resulting files do not support Unicode.
This is exactly right. After Apple released OSX, we stopped work on Nisus Writer Classic (which was just called "Nisus Writer" back then) because porting software from the Classic Mac OS (eg: OS9) to OSX wasn't a great solution. Basically we had to rewrite Nisus Writer from scratch, which is why we initially just had a light/express version available.
To address your second question: There is no built in feature to change all images at once.
In Pro you can use the "Shape Metrics" palette to precisely adjust the width/height of images. It will also allow you to adjust the size of multiple images at once; just select a few images and then use the palette. I will say that we could make this more obvious, because when multiple images are selected the expected selection handles don't appear; this might be a misbehavior.

In addition to Philip's resizing macro (thanks for that!), you could also use this macro (Pro only) which selects all the images in your document:

Code: Select all

$doc = Document.active
$selections = Array.new

Select Document Start
While Select Next Image
	$select = $doc.textSelection
	$selections.appendValue($select)
End

$doc.setSelections($selections)
After you run it, then use the Shape Metrics palette to handle the resize.