Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Char displayed by Nisus does not ever get found by Nisus 

I select a character and then Find, it displays \u2028. So I put in space on the replace and I can see a large number of these 'spaces', but it never finds any of them. If I change to \s, then it will find those spaces. It appears as tilde, but is some type of space.

What is happening???

Thanks...
Wags ;)

2012-04-08 07:41:12
Official Nisus Person

The Unicode character U+2028 is a "soft return", which will break the line (ie: causes the line to wrap), but doesn't end the paragraph (eg: paragraph spacing isn't applied, quadruple-clicking still selects the following text, etc). A soft return can be inserted by holding down the Shift key when you press Return.

As you say, the PowerFind Pro regular expression "\s" will match any kind of whitespace, including the soft return character.

You mentioned that a space appears as a tilde, but that's not the invisible mark for a soft return character. When you have Show Invisibles turned on, a soft return will display as a curved arrow:
Attachment:
softreturn.png
softreturn.png [ 11.5 KiB | Viewed 1525 times ]

The tilde invisible mark is used for non-breaking spaces (Unicode U+00A0) and looks like:
Attachment:
nbsp.png
nbsp.png [ 11.81 KiB | Viewed 1525 times ]
That character can be inserted by holding down the Option key when you press the Space Bar.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

2012-04-09 14:00:14
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]