Footnotes adjacent to hyperlinks

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
David Sharp

Footnotes adjacent to hyperlinks

Post by David Sharp »

Hi,
I've been having a frustrating problem with Nisus Writer Pro 2.0.2 on a Mac running OS X 10.6.8.

Writing in French, I have a document in which I insert footnotes adjacent to hyperlinked words - and then find on saving then reopening the document that all the footnotes have vanished.

The footnotes in question have themselves been hyperlinks. In order to generate a single PDF document which can be both printable and easily clickable when read online, I put the URL in the footnote for print readers, and turn the phrase or word directly adjacent to the footnote reference into a hyperlink with the same target for online readers.

The footnotes that disappear are all adjacent to links; footnotes that are adjacent to unlinked words don't disappear.

Is this a bug, or is there something I should be doing to avoid the problem?

Many thanks for any assistance.
David Sharp

Re: Footnotes adjacent to hyperlinks

Post by David Sharp »

The plot thickens: I've just discovered that if I take the RTF file from which the footnotes have disappeared and open it within Word, all the footnotes are there.

So the footnotes have not actually been lost: they simply aren't being displayed in NWP.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

I can reproduce the problem (running Lion).
It is a bug which must be fixed.
A workaround is to insert a Zero Width Space after the hyperlink just before inserting a footnote reference.
Zero Width Space is available from the Insert:Special Character:Spaces menu.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Hamid is correct, this is indeed a bug in Nisus Writer. As you discovered, it's not a problem with saving hyperlinks and footnotes, but rather with reading them when they are directly adjacent. Hamid's workaround to insert a zero-length space between your hyperlink and the note reference is a good one.

Sorry for the trouble. We'll take a look at getting this fixed, thanks!
David Sharp

Post by David Sharp »

Many thanks for the workaround, Hamid, which I'll be using from now on.

Looking forward to a new version of NWP which will fix this bug, which is at the same time minor and extremely frustrating when you're rushing to get a key document published.

And many thanks for your great software, which I use every day and recommend to everyone I meet!

David Sharp, Paris