I've got a two week window to download a newq version! :)

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
greenmorpher

I've got a two week window to download a newq version! :)

Post by greenmorpher »

Hey folks,

I'm back in Oz for two weeks on a fast Internet connection. Then back to Papua New Guinea for 8 months where the internet is slow, slow, slow. If you’re going to announce a new version, please make it within the next 10 days so I can download it before I go back. I mean, really, please! :D

Check http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=41910399 to see where I am habitually posting from and what I'm doing there! LOL

Best regards

Geoffrey Heard
The Ad-Doctor-Online
http://www.ad-doctor-online.com
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: I've got a two week window to download a newq version!

Post by martin »

Hi Geoffrey- those are some wonderful photos. I love the skink!

Anyways, as luck would have it, we should be able to accommodate your downloading window no problem. We should have a new version ready for OSX 10.8 before the week is over.
dshan

Post by dshan »

As if Geoff would be interested in 10.8! Isn't he still on 10.6.8 or something?

BTW Geoff, I hate to tell you but it seems Apple have now withdrawn 10.7.4 from the App Store, so you're apparently stuck on 10.6 until you upgrade your Mac. It's a little odd for sure, you'd think they'd be keen to encourage as many pre-Lion holdouts as possible to upgrade to Mountain Lion and yet they withdraw the very release 10.5.x and 10.6.x users need to go through to get to 10.8. Weird.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Great news, Martin, slthough I have to admit I'm not at all interested in X.8 -- I'm just interested in the Nisus journey! I couldn't even claim even to using NWP to anywhere like its full potential as it stands, but with each upgrade, there's the possibility of a tweak or feature that will move me along.

I'm stuck on X.6.8 because that's the last version that will run Canvas X -- my other major productivity tool. If ACD ever decides to port the current Canvas from 'windows to Mac, I might consider an OS upgrade … always assuming that version of Canvas is as good as X! :)

Cheers, geoff
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Hi -

what about "Using X11 in Mountain Lion" - who knows?

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?s ... 9101352282

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Nisus Writer Pro 2.0.3 is available for downloading now, whether you're in the USA, London, or Papua New Guinea- provided you can find WiFi ;)
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Ah, that's fine, Martin, installed no problem whatsoever, but I was hoping for v.3 … :(

An impressive list of fixes and tweaks. I'll have to use NWP for more complex stuff so as to take advantage of them all! :P

Cheers, geoff
Last edited by greenmorpher on 2012-07-29 12:55:14, edited 1 time in total.
joao

Post by joao »

Have you tried Crossover from CodeWeavers? It allows users to run a fair number of Windows apps on an Intel Mac without having to install Windows.

With a program as complex as Canvas it might not work, but I believe you can download a trial copy of Crossover to give it a whirl. It might be solving my problems with the death of Rosetta (which was an amazingly stupid decision).
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

I have used Crossover; it's a friendly front-end to Wine. There are two reasons for which one is condemned to Windows here in the Land of the Great Firewall: one is if you want to do online banking; the other, which affects me, is the university's online administration system. For both of those you have to use Internet Explorer!

I don't currently do online banking, but do I have to access the administration system, and I'm not going to lash out the cost of Windows and sacrifice a large chunk of disk space just for that. The current version of Crossover will run IE 6, but not IE8 in my experience. Although IE8 starts loading up it seems to hang without completing the window and the only thing I can do is Force Quit Crossover. As for IE6 it seems to be OK, though the system I need to access is in Chinese and some characters simply don't get rendered. I don't know why this is, as an earlier version rendered those characters OK.

I am considering whether to renew my subscription — you subscribe for a period which gives you access to support and the right to download updates to Crossover — but given the problems even with IE6, I'm not sure that I will ... though I do have to think seriously about online banking. I was told yesterday that the teller behind the counter, who was ignoring my presence — even though I was the only one waiting — was busy doing her job, and that it was not her job to serve customers, that was the customer's job!

As for Geoff's problem, I wonder if Crossover would be able to run Canvas ... you never know ... it seems to be particularly aimed at games players, though.

Mark
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Thanks for the thought, guys. The only thing at this point is that I don't believe the latest Windows version of Canvas offers any significant improvements over Canvas X in areas I want so there's not much point in even trialling it. Up to X, the developers were making a big effort to provide more "general" graphics and DTP capability to Canvas; after X, they turned away from that direction and focused on upgrading the higher end, precision vector tools -- which i don’t need.

I'll just keep on keeping an eye on it.

And I'm perfectly happy on X.6.8. Not interested in Clods n stuff like that.

Cheers, geoff
dshan

Post by dshan »

greenmorpher wrote:
And I'm perfectly happy on X.6.8. Not interested in Clods n stuff like that.

Cheers, geoff
Now that 10.8 is out there'll be no further security updates to 10.6.8. The sharks are circling, good luck.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

I can't see why they would bother, but we'll see. :o

Cheers, geoff