NWP 2.04 Crashing Continuously

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
jazzdoc007

NWP 2.04 Crashing Continuously

Post by jazzdoc007 »

Good Evening:

I hope that this is an appropriate place to bring these issues to for resolution. I am running NWP on 2 MACs. A MacBook Pro (late 2009 15") running 10.6.8 and a 24" iMAC 2008 - also running snow leopard. The reason that my computers have not been updated to lion or mountain lion is that I run a music studio using pro tools,etc. With all of my plug ins (stable on 10.6.8) - I am either too fearful or too lazy to take the time to assure that all of the plug ins are compatible - thus updating them as well. Any way, I have not had any issues with NWP until recently. I also have an iPhone 5 that is synced. Now NWP comes up and opens. I can use it for a short while and then it crashes. I attempted to attach the crash report but it apparently was too large. Therefore I uploaded it to my fileswap account (here is the short URL: http://bit.ly/Va7evk) It is my hope that someone might look at the report and give me some direction as to resolution. I would greatly appreciate it...as I know that this is most likely not your day job...and you would be doing it on your own time and because you care....thanks

paul
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: NWP 2.04 Crashing Continuously

Post by martin »

Hi Paul,

I'm sorry you've started having trouble with Nisus Writer Pro (NWP). Hopefully we can eliminate the problem for you.
I attempted to attach the crash report but it apparently was too large. Therefore I uploaded it to my fileswap account (here is the short URL: http://bit.ly/Va7evk) It is my hope that someone might look at the report and give me some direction as to resolution. I would greatly appreciate it...as I know that this is most likely not your day job
It turns out that diagnosing these kinds of crashes is part of my day job! Thanks for the hang report, we're happy to help. I've taken a look and it seems that at the time you force quit NWP it was trying to resolve a file alias.

Specifically NWP was trying to locate a file that is stored (or was stored) in your "Recently Saved" Document Manager group. From the hang report I can see that this alias resolution is triggering Mac OSX to try and mount a remote volume, which can take some time. This is an unfortunate occurrence, and ideally NWP would decrease the alias/mount timeout so you don't experience this problem. I believe we have this filed as something to fix, but I'll make sure about that.

In the meantime, I think you have two options:

1. Make sure to mount the appropriate remote volume(s) when using NWP. You could just do this once, in order to clear out the Recently Saved/Opened files in the Document Manager, so NWP no longer looks for them on the remote volume.

2. Delete your Document Manager settings (which stores these aliases) while NWP is not running. This would of course delete your other Document Manager file lists and settings, so it's not a great solution.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.
sebwin

Post by sebwin »

Hi
I got the non-stop crash after moving to a new mac with 10.8 installed.
After trashing all preference and auxiliary files NWP now only crashes when I save a document.
What to do?
Attaching the last crash report…
Attachments
crash report.txt
(64.3 KiB) Downloaded 487 times
Sebastian
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Hi sebwin: I know it's been a long time since you posted your crash information, and I'm not sure if you ever contacted us directly about this matter, but if this is still a problem for you, we'd like to help.

The crash looks to be a problem with your system / OSX and not NWP itself. Specifically the crash occurs when OSX is gathering some information about a file; in this case it is trying to generate an icon for a file, probably to display to you in the save dialog. I actually recall that another user had an almost identical situation, and managed to solve his problem by reinstalling the system.

I hope that helps. If you still need assistance, the best way to contact us about crashes and technical problems is to use the menu Help > Send Feedback, as it will automatically gather recent crash logs and system information.