Find and replace across multiple files

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
David Sharp

Find and replace across multiple files

Post by David Sharp »

Hello,

As far as I can tell, it isn't possible to search and replace across multiple NWP files.

As I recall, this used to be possible with Word (and probably still is). It is certainly possible with BBEdit, which can even search files that aren't open.

I'm beginning to feel a need for something like this because a few of my NWP files are starting to get extremely large, which slows down certain operations such as saving and pagination. And if I opt not to split these files into parts, it's mainly because I want to be able to search them easily.

Any ideas/possibilities?
Dirk_Barends

Re: Find and replace across multiple files

Post by Dirk_Barends »

> Any ideas/possibilities?

Using a macro?

http://nisus.com/pro/macros/?activeCat= ... %20Replace

Dirk Barends
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

It would also be reasonably easy to modify that macro to work on a pre-selected list of files, or all the files in a given folder, or some collection determined through the document manager. This wouldn't be general purpose, so it would be have to be custom written. But it's not too complicated. If you need help with this kind of thing,... maybe Joe Kissell could put a macro like that in his upcoming book? :)

Obviously it would be nice to have a built-in feature. Maybe in some future version of Nisus?
philip
David Sharp

Post by David Sharp »

Many thanks for those pointers: I'm still something of a beginner with macros, but I'll try the one you suggested.

As for the book by Joe Kissell, I look forward to hearing about - and ordering - it.

Whatever the potential of macros, I agree that a built-in multi-file search function would be a powerful addition to Nisus Writer Pro.

Best wishes, DS