Long Footnote takes 100% of next page; unreadable last line

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
withoutFeathers

Long Footnote takes 100% of next page; unreadable last line

Post by withoutFeathers »

Hi,
I'm working with a long footnote that needs to be spread over several pages (it's about two full pages long).

I've got two issues with how it's handled in Nisus:

1. The footnote takes 100% of the second page it's shown on (no main body text is shown at all). This is not behaviour I want.
Shouldn't it be limited to some % of the page? Ideally I'd like control of that %, which I believe you have as a request already from someone else. But in the meantime, can I stop this 100% page somehow, and get it to, say, maximum of 40% or 50% of the page?

2. On that 100% page, the bottom line apparently gets buried underneath the bottom page margin. The tops of the risers is readable, nothing else. Completely unreadable line of text. The FN then runs to a third page, where there are a few lines of FN that behave normally, ie, at the bottom, readable.

Thanks....

WF
Timotheus

Re: Long Footnote takes 100% of next page; unreadable last l

Post by Timotheus »

I know it's not an answer to your question, but if I had this problem, I would somehow slightly adapt the text in order to be able to split this long footnote into two or three shorter footnotes.
withoutFeathers

Re: Long Footnote takes 100% of next page; unreadable last l

Post by withoutFeathers »

Timotheus wrote:I know it's not an answer to your question, but if I had this problem, I would somehow slightly adapt the text in order to be able to split this long footnote into two or three shorter footnotes.
Thanks, and I had thought of this and may do this if there is no other option. It's slightly tricky because I don't want to adapt the text itself. I'm going to attempt using text boxes. This won't be a true footnote and will require re-adjusting as the format of the book flows, but may end up being a better solution than what is there now; not sure.

I also should note that part of the problem has disappeared with quitting and restarting Nisus (the missing part of the bottom line).

I've noticed this behavior of Nisus before also; there seem to be some bugs about formatting an open document's footnotes and other pagination, and also EPS graphics, that get resolved with closing and re-opening the document or quitting Nisus and restarting. I'm hoping these will be addressed in future updates.

wF