Symbol fonts and Mountain Lion

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
tarakananda

Symbol fonts and Mountain Lion

Post by tarakananda »

Greetings.

I have Nisus Pro documents in which I have used a symbol font called ChristianSymbols to insert maltese crosses. Since upgrading from 10.6 to 10.8, this font shows up in red, and does not display the maltese cross.

I have read in the forums about some symbol font issues, but do not understand how to rectify the issue. There are numerous files using this font and character, and I do not relish the idea of changing each character in each document one by one.

Can you help?
tarakananda

Re: Symbol fonts and Mountain Lion

Post by tarakananda »

In addition to the symbol font for the maltese cross, we have another issue with symbol fonts used for music which has been imported into Nisus Pro. This might be a symbol font problem, or it might be the font is missing, as we have not reinstalled all fonts since upgrading the computer. But I worry that the same symbol fonts problem may apply.

Any solution to either of these postings?
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Hi -

not sure, but see: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/43 ... 0&tstart=0
All depends on the fonts - Unicoded ones should just stand the test.
Problem then is with entering "symbol" characters…

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

If a font's name appears in red in NWP's menus or palettes, that probably means the font is applied to characters it cannot display.
If a font's name appears in orange in NWP's menus or palettes, that probably means the font is not installed on your computer.
I say "probably" because these colors are customizable in NWP's Appearance preferences.

If your font is not installed, then the solution is easy: just install the font. However, if the font is applied to characters it cannot display, then you'll need to figure out what characters the font includes exactly. With these kinds of symbol fonts the problem is often that it used to be acceptable to co-opt regular characters and display a symbol instead. As a hypothetical example, an old Greek font might have displayed an alpha symbol "α" when you applied it to a regular lowercase "a". Now that Unicode is widespread this behavior is frowned upon, because it ties the meaning of your text to the font. Now if a font wants to display an oddball symbol, the proper Unicode character should always be used (or at the least, one of the "private use" Unicode characters).

I hope this information helps. Let us know if you have any questions.