Dodgy conversion to adobe pdf

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Bryand

Dodgy conversion to adobe pdf

Post by Bryand »

I have a book of 192 pages which must be converted to a pdf file for the printer (PDFX-1a:2001). It has two indexes at the back which are causing trouble. Each time I try to convert to pdf (print/adobe pdf etc) it converts all the index numbers to repetitious and meaningless numbers. I've tried to remove the indexes and rebuild them from scratch but I still get the same result.
greenmorpher

Re: Dodgy conversion to adobe pdf

Post by greenmorpher »

How about if you export to PDF rather than via print?

Best regards
Geoff

Geoffrey Heard
General Manager
Bushtrack Enterprises Ltd
http://www.bushtrackpng.com
Bryand

Post by Bryand »

Thanks for the suggestion, but sadly this attempt produces the same outcome.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

I cannot reproduce the problem.
(two indexes in NWP 2.0.4, print to PDF (PDF/X-1a:2001), Acrobat 9.5.2, OS 10.8.3)
Bryand

Post by Bryand »

I have had to resort to my own very unsatisfactory solution which was to copy the indexes, paste them as text to a new file, delete the indexes in the original document and append the copied text. Then I was able to creat an adobe pdf without any aberrations.
dagell

Post by dagell »

I also have this problem. It is "reliably" repeatable. I've sent a support request.
David
Bryand

Post by Bryand »

Thanks for the confirmation. Please be kind enough to post when a solution emerges.
waltzmn

Post by waltzmn »

Sorry for the late post to this thread. I've been having my own PDF problems -- in a 600 page document, the graphics randomly move on the page when I save to PDF. That set me to looking for other problems.

I don't have your exact problem with an index, but I had one of my own that might be faintly relevant. For some strange reason, when I generate my index, a section of the index text gets repeated. Suppose I were making an index of, say, mammals. It should look like this:

bears 34
cats 23, 26
dogs 14, 102
elephants 96
foxes 33

Instead, it comes out like this:

bears 34
cats 23, 26
dogs 14, 102
elephants 96
cats 23, 26
dogs 14, 102
foxes 33

And the hyperlinks for one of the duplicated instances of cats and dogs don't work.

I found that, by eliminating the dud duplicate index entries, things got sane again. Unfortunately, this has to be done every time the index is regenerated.

Wish I had a similar solution for my graphics problem. :-(
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

waltzmn wrote:I found that, by eliminating the dud duplicate index entries, things got sane again. Unfortunately, this has to be done every time the index is regenerated.
Would you be able to send us the document where this problem occurs? We want to make sure we get this fixed. Thank you!
waltzmn

Post by waltzmn »

I've tried twice now to post a response to the request for a file. Both times, the file seemed to upload, but there was no feedback that either the file or the message had gone through. Perhaps the uploader has problems with 25 MB files. :-)

Anyway, I'm posting the description of the exact problem again. The file I sent is called "BefuddledIndex.rtf." If it didn't show up, I'm not sure what to do. I've described the situation as best I can.

The problem is visible on p. 635. I rebuilt the Index before sending it; you may re-index as needed. Note the text near the bottom right hand column of p. 635:
Zebulun 178
Zechariah (1) son of Jeroboam II 178
Zechariah (2) son of Jehoshaphat 178
Zechariah (3) son of Jehoiada 178, 229
Zechariah (4) son of Berechiah son of Iddo 203
Uriah of Gibeah, father of Maacah 162
Uriah son of Shemaiah 253
Uriah the Hittite 27, 88
Uriah, priest under Ahaz 209, 211

This is in an auto-generated index, and it jumps from "Zechariah (4)" to "Uriah of Gibeah." If you scroll to the right column of p. 636, around the middle, you'll see Zebulun, Zechariah (1), etc. appear AGAIN.

And the links in the first repeat of the text are dead.

Thank you. Let's hope this works.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I appreciate your efforts waltzmn! Sorry the reporter didn't handle your large document very well. Could you perhaps email it to me directly at:
These kinds of issues can be complex and nearly impossible to fix without a document, so we'd really appreciate your help. Thank you!