page numbers in index get messed up when PDFing document

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
nisusnew

page numbers in index get messed up when PDFing document

Post by nisusnew »

Hello NisusPros,

I am having this weird situation with my index/table of authorities. After I have marked up all the references in the document and created the index, the page numbers for the various entries are correctly showing in the index. But then when I save the document as a PDF file and open it up, the page numbers are messed up for several of the entries. It looks like it is only effecting entries for which there are multiple page numbers (because the entry shows up on more than one page of the document). So it will show up as either "People v. Doe.........-PAGE-,-PAGE-, 23" or "People v. Doe.....23, 23, 23". Literally just like that. In the PDF that is. In the original nisus document, it is showing correctly: "People v. Doe.......6, 12, 23".

Help!

Thanks,
Janice
nisusnew

Re: page numbers in index get messed up when PDFing document

Post by nisusnew »

Nisus - please help! Same problem is happening with another document I created. How do I get it to freeze the page numbers as it is when I insert the table of contents and table of authorities. It seems like when I reopen the document or save it as a PDF, it gets messed up big time. :(
nisusnew

Post by nisusnew »

I can see the numbers for the table of contents and table of authorities entries are highlighted in both the original nisus document and in the pdf that I saved it as and when you click on those numbers, it takes you to the place in the document, but I don't need that function and I just want the numbers to freeze as they are so they don't get messed up when I reopen the document. Please help!
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

There must be a section break between the body of document and whatever is inserted before it.
The section which begins the body of the document must be set to restart page numbering at 1.
RestartPageNum.gif
RestartPageNum.gif (16.47 KiB) Viewed 7994 times
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

nisusnew wrote:After I have marked up all the references in the document and created the index, the page numbers for the various entries are correctly showing in the index. But then when I save the document as a PDF file and open it up, the page numbers are messed up for several of the entries. It looks like it is only effecting entries for which there are multiple page numbers (because the entry shows up on more than one page of the document). So it will show up as either "People v. Doe.........-PAGE-,-PAGE-, 23" or "People v. Doe.....23, 23, 23".
This sounds like some kind of bug, and we'd be grateful if you shared the document with us so we could investigate. Not only so we can fix this (if it's a problem with NWP), but it's much easier to diagnose these kinds of things and offer workarounds with a document in hand. It would be best if you could send us a copy of the document before any of the unwanted/errant numbers appear, so we can reproduce them being introduced ourselves. You can contact us directly using the menu Help > Send Feedback or via email at:

That said, not having seen the file, it could be that your index was damaged somehow. Perhaps during editing, copy-pasting, etc. To solve your problem it might be enough to simply rebuild the index (using the menus) or delete and reinsert it.
How do I get it to freeze the page numbers as it is
If you really want this, you can either:
1. Select the generated index and use the menu Tools > Automatic Content > Convert to Fixed Content.
2. Select the entire index, use the menu Edit > Copy > Copy Text Only, delete the existing index, and then paste.

However, this means that the page numbers won't be updated as the related content changes pages. You would have to trust that the page numbers currently displayed in the index are exactly correct, even if you edit the document or something otherwise changes that affects layout (eg: a font you used in the document is no longer available on your computer).
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

This bug has been fixed in the just released version 2.0.5 update. The first time you open an affected document, you may receive a warning about possible import errors. Once you rebuild the generated index(es) and save the document, the errors should be cleared away for good.
nisusnew

Post by nisusnew »

Okay, thanks I will try it again with the new release.

Thank you all for the helpful responses, I was under deadline.