Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
can Tab be set to X characters? 

I'd like to be able to set tabs so every time I press the Tab key the cursor moves a fixed number of spaces to the right (I prefer 4 spaces). In evaluating Nisus Writer Pro I didn't see any way to do that. Is there a way? Thanks.

- Dushan

2013-06-25 09:11:56

Just to be clear: tabs in Nisus align to tab-stops, and tab-stops are set on your ruler to cm or inches etc. Aligning to "X-characters" would make sense only with mono-spaced fonts. Is that what you are talking about? (Some languages like Japanese use "mono-spaced" fonts as a rule.)

If you are planning to work with/in mono-spaced fonts, then you don't want to use tabs at all, and you should just align with spaces. Nisus has no built-in commands for doing this, but it would be possible to create macros for doing this. However Nisus unfortunately does not have an auto-indent feature.

2013-06-26 01:09:41

Philip, thanks for the reply. Yes I do work with mono-spaced fonts, and that's why I like the X-character tabs. These are especially useful for organizing some of the information I need to convey. Sounds like Nisus may be overkill for what I'm trying to do.

- Dushan

2013-06-26 08:22:50
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]