Nisus Writer Pro does NOT scroll?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
SiriusBlack

Nisus Writer Pro does NOT scroll?

Post by SiriusBlack »

Hello Nisusists and Nisusettes,

First post and I've just joined because something is driving me up the wall about Nisus Writer Pro.

It doesn't scroll. No scrollbar appears. Clicking any of the edges of the document does no good. The help feature is no help at all.

The only time a scrollbar appears is if I move the cursor to the end of the page. When the cursor jumps to the next page, the scrollbar appears, and I can use it. As soon as I let go of it, it disappears and cannot be grabbed again.

Am I missing something? Thanks.

I am using a MacBook Air loaded with OS X 10.8.4.
Elbrecht

Re: Nisus Writer Pro does NOT scroll?

Post by Elbrecht »

But -

you've got TWO fingers to Scroll, haven't you - try to Scroll with BOTH…

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
dshan

Post by dshan »

Welcome to the 21st century. This is nothing to do with Nisus, it's how OS X works by default with any Cocoa app nowadays (post 10.6 anyway). Scrollbars are not "always on" by default, they only appear while you are scrolling a document (like iOS), or if the mouse pointer is located nearby, and then disappear again after a short delay. The idea is that with modern scrolling mice and trackpads you don't need scrollbars anymore so why waste pixels by always displaying them? Just show them long enough to show that there is more document still to come and allow the pointer to "grab" and use them during that short time when necessary.

This setting can be altered in System Preferences>General>Show scroll bars: . If you want the old behaviour with scrollbars set it to "Always". And then go outside and yell at the kids to get off your lawn...
SiriusBlack

Post by SiriusBlack »

Thanks for the replies. I've just made the switch in Prefs and it works fine now.

If the scrollbar appeared when I hover the mouse nearby that would be fine. But it doesn't. I have to grab the edge of the document for the scrollbar to appear. No amount of hovering would summon the scrollbar genie.

Anyway the problem is fixed and I now have the scrollbar showing at all times as God intended.