Bookends integration

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
swilcox

Bookends integration

Post by swilcox »

Is there a known problem with Bookends integration? When I try to use the Bookends cited pages custom format (citation@xx) to include cited pages, it causes serious problems with Nisus Writer Pro: the entire formatted citation is missing (in the text, the citation is included in the bibliography).

Or am I doing something wrong? When I try the same procedure in Pages it works perfectly.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Bookends integration

Post by martin »

Are you using the Bookend's document scan feature? If so, you'll want to contact them to help work through the problem.
swilcox

Post by swilcox »

No, I'm using the scan function in NWP Tool > Bibliography menu.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

That is actually the Bookends document scanning feature. NWP simply hands the document data to Bookends, it does the actual scanning, and then hands back the final/scanned document.

If you like you could send us your document and we'll take a look at it. Though honestly you'd probably be better off contacting Bookends support directly, since that's what we'd almost assuredly have to do ourselves.
swilcox

Post by swilcox »

Thanks. I had also posted this on the Bookends forum, and Jon has replied. I'm trying to do some more troubleshooting with him.

It turns out to be pretty random, or so it seems. Sometimes I'll get correctly formatted citations, with cited pages correct and also when using %CITATION to exclude the authors name (and combinations, such as %CITATION@55 to exclude author name but include cited pages).

Other times, though, I get blank citations. So, a citation such as "According to Wilcox {Wilcox, 2010, #123@88}." will produce a totally blank formatted output: "According to Wilcox ." (yes, with the space after Wilcox and before the period).

If I unscan, and then scan again, sometimes it will format correctly, sometimes it will continue to format with the blank citation.

Thanks for the help.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Great, I'm glad you're receiving help. If there's anything we can do to aid in the process, feel free to write us directly and let us know (or have Jon contact us with technical details).
swilcox

Post by swilcox »

I've been in touch with Jon all day. I think I've located the problem. If the cursor in NWP is sitting INSIDE a citation, and then a scan is performed, the output is a blank citation. If the cursor is sitting OUTSIDE a citation, the formatted output correct.

I think Jon is working on this.