Possible bug in 2.0.5 with font sizes

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
tarakananda

Possible bug in 2.0.5 with font sizes

Post by tarakananda »

We have discovered some annoying behavior in the latest upgrade to Nisus Pro. If I change the font size using the arrows in the character palette, it will give an incorrect reading, saying the font is one size, whereas it is really something other.

An example: I change selected text using the arrows from 14pt. to 12pt., and the text is actually 10pts. If I type in 12, the text goes to 12 as it should.

Any thoughts?
CrisB

Re: Possible bug in 2.0.5 with font sizes

Post by CrisB »

Yes, 2.0.5 did this to me as well. But the work-around is very simple and I don't change font sizes at all often...

But if you'd like this bug fixed sooner rather than later, then please post your support to Nisus issuing more frequent bug-fixes on page http://nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5439

Nisus do listen to numbers, so the more people who support this, the more notice they take of the issue!

thanks, Cris
Find strategies to improve your effectiveness at http://www.lifestrategies.net
tarakananda

Post by tarakananda »

Thanks for this suggestion, which I have followed up on.
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Hi -

did you upgrade to OS X 10.8.5 as well, I wonder? It seems to work with me - up to now!

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

I am using 10.8.5 and the new NWP update. This is not a problem for me.
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990
tarakananda

Post by tarakananda »

I'll update to the latest system and see if that fixes it. Thanks for the suggestion.
tarakananda

Post by tarakananda »

The system update solved the problem. Many thanks.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

tarakananda: which version of OSX were you using before? ie: under which version of OSX did NWP exhibit this unwanted behavior? Was it OSX 10.6?
hatchmo

Post by hatchmo »

This is still a bug. Text refuses to retain arrow-applied font point size changes in Nisus Writer 2.0.5 under OS X 10.8.5. Moreover, Before/After line spacing exhibits the same problem. Changed using the arrows, the number in the Tooldrawer dialog is incorrect in both cases (point size and line spacing). Remove Attributes fixes the problem for line spacing, but not for point size.
Al Hatch
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I wonder if you're not being confused by a change we made with how the steppers (up/down arrows) work. They now adjust all selected values individually, whether it's font size, paragraph spacing, etc.

For example, suppose you had selected a piece of text with two font sizes, one word of size 12pt, and another with a size of 20pt. If you click the up stepper arrow once, you'd wind up with font sizes 13pt and 21pt, not a uniform font size of 13pt. If you desire the latter, you should enter the font size field and make the change using the keyboard, either by typing in a new/different value, or by pressing Enter/Return to apply the existing value uniformly to the entire selection.

I hope this is clear. Please let me know if this does not explain the behavior you observe.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

While the new behavior of the palette stepper up/down arrows has not changed since version 2.0.5, we did make some changes to improve their usability:
• Holding down the Command key when clicking a palette stepper's up/down arrows will restore the old behavior, where the first shown value is applied uniformly to the entire selection, instead of adjusting all selected values independently.
• Using a palette stepper's down arrow should affect all selected values, even if the first selected value is at zero.

These changes were made for the just released Pro 2.0.6.
This update is free for all current license holders of Pro 2.x.

• Download Version 2.0.6
• Release Notes

This update can also be downloaded via the menu Nisus Writer Pro > Check For Updates.
If you purchased Nisus Writer Pro through the Mac App Store, the update will be available there as soon as it clears Apple's submission process.
jhecht

Post by jhecht »

As a user, the change in how font sizes behaved when I try to change them with the arrows felt like a bug. I had been using that and did not immediately notice the change in behavior until it became problematic. It isn't intuitive - at least to me - to have the displayed number completely detached from the font size in part of the selected type. (The same is true for font). But I'm glad I checked here because this explained what was happening, so I have an idea of how it should work and can try to change my approach to changing font size.