Document always opens with top half way down the screen

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
exegete77

Document always opens with top half way down the screen

Post by exegete77 »

Recently I have noticed that certain NWP files open with the top of the file in the middle (vertically) of the screen. When I move it to the top (like most files), then close it, the next time I open it is back to opening in the middle.

Is there something I am overlooking? It is frustrating.

10.9 with NWP 2.0.6
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990
exegete77

Re: Document always opens with top half way down the screen

Post by exegete77 »

Here is what it looks like when opening.
Attachments
Nisus Display copy.pdf
(39.9 KiB) Downloaded 507 times
Mac user since 1990
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

Could it be the template located at Nisus Writer Pro menu - Preferences - New File is saved with that window size and position?

Try to open the file by »Open For Editing» and then resize the size of the page and also the location of the page on the screen. Then close the file and open a new file with cmd-N.

I hope this will help you.
Peter Edwardsson
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

exegete77 wrote:… I move it to the top (like most files), then close it, …
Do you mean: … move to the top, save it, then close it, …?
Nisus will not save the changed position automatically, and auto-save only kicks in if there is an editing action involved. If saving does not have any effect I'd consider sending the file in using Send Feedback, but you could also try using "Save As…" or copying the content to a new file, and see if that helps.
philip
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

phspaelti wrote:
exegete77 wrote:… I move it to the top (like most files), then close it, …
Do you mean: … move to the top, save it, then close it, …?
Nisus will not save the changed position automatically, and auto-save only kicks in if there is an editing action involved. If saving does not have any effect I'd consider sending the file in using Send Feedback, but you could also try using "Save As…" or copying the content to a new file, and see if that helps.
That was the problem. I had been used to the previous method that if I placed a window anywhere it would open there “automatically.” But not with Mavericks. So once I saved the document, then it appeared where I placed it.

Thanks
Mac user since 1990
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

Except that yesterday I opened a document that had always been at the top of the screen. And it opened halfway down the screen. So I moved it to the top and saved. This morning it worked as expected. But now I am wondering will this continue to be a problem?
Mac user since 1990
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

It shouldn't continue to be a problem, though one thought comes to mind: did you recently change your monitor setup or screen resolution? While each document does save and restore its location on screen, those coordinates are dependent on your screen size. If you recently acquired more screen real estate, documents would open lower than on your prior screen, due to the way window coordinates are represented on the Mac. For historical reasons, window coordinates run from the bottom of the screen to the top, ie: the zero point/origin is at the bottom.
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

I have the documents that can be opened by either the iMac 21.5” or the 13” MBP Retina (using Dropbox). I have not noticed any problems with any other applications (MS Word, Mellel, Scrivener, etc.) when opening on either. And it appears half way down the screen on the iMac, but I have not noticed it on the MBP.
Mac user since 1990
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Do you work with the same document intermittently on both computers? If so, is your screen resolution different on the two different Macs? That would also explain the odd behavior you've observed: if the screen on one Mac has a smaller resolution, then the same document would reopen at a lower point on the Mac with the larger resolution.
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

Slightly different. But I have other documents (in Dropbox) with other programs and have never had a problem opening with the two computers (never at the same time! :D). It is only with NWP that I have noticed this. And it is only selected documents in NWP. Many others open as expected.
Mac user since 1990
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Other apps may use other strategies for coordinating persistent window placement, but it sounds like using the documents on multiple Macs hasn't been a problem before, even in NWP, so seems we can discard that theory.

Is the problem still persistent, or was it just a fluke?
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

It has happened intermittently. The one that I mentioned in the first post, was corrected. But another opened incorrectly yesterday. But today I opened it on the same computer (without having opened it on the laptop). It was correct just now.

So, it doesn’t seem to have much a pattern. Sorry I can’t be more specific and helpful on this.
Mac user since 1990
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

I have experienced this regularly over the past few years, with different versions of OSX and different versions of NWP. The trigger was always opening a document on a machine with a different screen resolution … most often having used my MacBook Air for a presentation with Keynote and a VGA screen resolution. I never brought it up because I realised what was behind it.

I would imagine that whenever you have opened a Nisus document on whichever of your machines has the lower pixel count,, then when you open it on the other, you will see this effect.

Mark
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

I would tend to agree. But this last case I opened it on the same computer.
Mac user since 1990
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

exegete77 wrote:I would tend to agree. But this last case I opened it on the same computer.
In that case, let's rule out the obvious: the next time it happens, please submit a feedback report using the menu Help > Send Feedback. Be sure to enable diagnostics and checkmark the option to send along the console log. We can take a look and see if any errors were logged. It might also help if you attach the document that just opened incorrectly, and a screenshot of its position on screen. Thanks!