index markup

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Emilio_Speciale

index markup

Post by Emilio_Speciale »

Sorry if this question has been asked, but I did not find an answer on the forum.

1. How do I recognized visually that a word has been indexed?
2. Is there a way to see the code used to mark a word as a index item?

Thank you
phspaelti

Re: index markup

Post by phspaelti »

Emilio_Speciale wrote:1. How do I recognized visually that a word has been indexed?
Preferences has a setting to allow the highlighting of marked text. Default is off. But you can set it to on and choose the color.
philip
Emilio_Speciale

Thank you! It was really hidden.
1. Preferences
2. Appearance
3. Look down on the list and choose
4. Marked text
5. Deselect Hide in Include Index

___

I still do not know if it is possible to see the code: in Word you can see and edit the code.

Have a nice day.
ES
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

Yes, well it is true that it is "deeply embedded". But as you may have noticed, there are a lot of appearance variables that can be set. So I guess Nisus had to organise that somehow. (Of course we all tend to forget to look in preferences in the first place :) )

What do you mean by "edit the code"? If you have something indexed you can use "Index as…" to check how it has been indexed. (You can also set different colours for "Index" and "Index as".) Nisus also allows you to search for indexed items with the find feature. If you want more extensive automated access to index items, the macro language allows access to the index styles and the list of indexed topics.

And of course you can generate an index at any time to see what has been indexed :)
philip
Emilio_Speciale

Thank you for your kind answer.
For index code I mean this:

Here is a sentence with Galileo{XE “Galileo“} indexed.

The code is {XE “Galileo“}. It is visible in Word and may be useful…

Thanks again.
ES
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

Nisus is WYSIWYG. There is no code
philip
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

I am adding here a macro that will retrieve all the 'Index as' topic arrays and place them in the text. It is a very primitive macro in the sense that it takes the easiest approach to displaying this information. It also works only for one index, and only in the main text (not in footnotes, for example). One probably could make it more sophisticated, but it's not worth my while.

Also the inserted topic arrays are marked with a style, so they can easily be removed again.
Show IndexAs Items in Text.nwm
(19.01 KiB) Downloaded 442 times
philip
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Emilio_Speciale wrote:For index code I mean this:

Here is a sentence with Galileo{XE “Galileo“} indexed.

The code is {XE “Galileo“}. It is visible in Word and may be useful…
As Philip said, there isn't any such code visible in Nisus Writer, and that's by design. You could use a macro like Philip's to generate something, but I'm not sure I understand why you'd like to do such a thing.

Here's some tips on how to handle common indexing tasks in NWP:
1. To see which text has been indexed, turn on the colorful highlighting in NWP's Appearance preferences (as you've already discovered).
2. To see the indexing topic applied to some text, select that text and look at the Indexing palette:
palette.png
palette.png (26.38 KiB) Viewed 12122 times
3. To see a listing of all indexing topics in a document, insert a generated index using the menu Tools > Insert > Insert Index. You can double-click any page number in the generated index to have NWP take you to the corresponding piece of text in the document.

I hope that helps. Please let us know if you have any more questions or difficulties.
techwriter

Post by techwriter »

I'm new to Nisus, coming from the old Framemaker. I just managed to produce an index and figured out how to get the font and typeface that I wanted but no matter what I try, there is a grey background behind my text that I can't get rid of. The Format/ Background color is set to White. Paragraph Shading/ Pattern palette is set to None. The Paragraph/Shading palette is clear but nothing helps. Using other styles affects the typeface, etc., but the background is still shaded. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your help.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

techwriter wrote: [...] I just managed to produce an index and figured out how to get the font and typeface that I wanted but no matter what I try, there is a grey background behind my text that I can't get rid of [...]
Check the 'Hide this highlighting' box In NWP's Preferences=>Appearance:Automatic Text:Indexes:
AutuTextIndex.gif
AutuTextIndex.gif (20.47 KiB) Viewed 12039 times
techwriter

Post by techwriter »

Hamid wrote:
techwriter wrote: [...] I just managed to produce an index and figured out how to get the font and typeface that I wanted but no matter what I try, there is a grey background behind my text that I can't get rid of [...]
Check the 'Hide this highlighting' box In NWP's Preferences=>Appearance:Automatic Text:Indexes:
AutuTextIndex.gif
Thank you. This helped. I ended up going there and picking no color as it is not needed in this case.