Multiple character shortcuts

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Matze

Multiple character shortcuts

Post by Matze »

Hi,

two problems with defined shortcuts:
1. I have got a shortcut CMD-CTF for "copy to find“ (zum suchen kopieren). But it doesn’t activate the menu command and I have to do it by a mouse gesture.

2. I tried to reassign that command, but only CMD-C is shown in the shorcut window with a conflict to the shortcut of Copy.

Best Matze
Hamid

Re: Multiple character shortcuts

Post by Hamid »

For Copy to Find, try Command-e.
Copy to Replace is Command-alt-e.
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

Matze, it works for me.

(1) Are you holding the Command key down while you type all three C,T,F … or are you letting go of Command after typing the C?
(2) It doesn’t open the find window; you have to have the find window open already, or open it yourself.

Mark
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Matze wrote:1. I have got a shortcut CMD-CTF for "copy to find“ (zum suchen kopieren). But it doesn’t activate the menu command and I have to do it by a mouse gesture.
The first thing I'd check is if you have the "CTF" multi-key shortcut successfully set in your Menu Key preferences:
shortcut.png
shortcut.png (102.32 KiB) Viewed 9170 times
If that looks good, then perhaps the problem is how you activate the shortcut? As Mark said, you will need to hold down the Command key the entire time you press "C", "T", and finally "F", ie: the shortcut is completed/triggered when the Command key is released.

If all that is in order, I would ask: have you ever successfully triggered any multi-key shortcuts?
Matze

Post by Matze »

Hi Martin,

first: yes it has been successfully set in the prefs.
second: yes, I hold down the CMD-Key until all three CTF are pressed
third: yes, I did. For example I do use a macro (Philip's, thanks Philip ;-)) which I trigger successfully with CMD-DS.

Best, Matze
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Matze wrote:third: yes, I did. For example I do use a macro (Philip's, thanks Philip ;-)) which I trigger successfully with CMD-DS.
So it sounds like there's something special about this keyboard combination. First, just to make sure: are you using any other kind of keyboard / shortcut enhancement software? Is there some way that could be blocking or otherwise intercepting the shortcut?

Also, when you say "CTF" doesn't work, what happens exactly? Does it trigger other menus instead, eg: The "C" key triggers Copy? The "T" key triggers Show Fonts? And the "F" key triggers the Find panel? Or do you get some kind of beep?

Another line of investigation: run one of the macros that lists all keyboard shortcuts and check if there are any conflicts or suspicious entries for "CTF".
Matze

Post by Matze »

martin wrote:
Matze wrote:third: yes, I did. For example I do use a macro (Philip's, thanks Philip ;-)) which I trigger successfully with CMD-DS.
So it sounds like there's something special about this keyboard combination. First, just to make sure: are you using any other kind of keyboard / shortcut enhancement software? Is there some way that could be blocking or otherwise intercepting the shortcut?

Also, when you say "CTF" doesn't work, what happens exactly? Does it trigger other menus instead, eg: The "C" key triggers Copy? The "T" key triggers Show Fonts? And the "F" key triggers the Find panel? Or do you get some kind of beep?

Another line of investigation: run one of the macros that lists all keyboard shortcuts and check if there are any conflicts or suspicious entries for "CTF".
Hi Martin,

it triggers Copy. It must have to do with CopyPastePro. Because: If i quit CPPro this multiple shortcut works! The workaround is to assign a shortcut, that does not start with C.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Glad you got to the bottom of that, even if it does leave you with an inconvenient conflict. Likely CopyPastePro is eating the keystroke before it ever reaches Nisus Writer. I can't think of a workaround that has you enjoying the use of Command + C in both apps.