Font size won't go below 11?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
alanterra

Font size won't go below 11?

Post by alanterra »

I'm sorry but I can't figure out whether this is a feature or a bug. I am not a regular in these forums.

NWP 2.0.7, Mac OS Mavericks 10.9.1

I select a paragraph and click the down arrow for the font size, and the font doesn't go below 11. I can make it smaller by using the drag-control for font size, but not the down-arrow. What is really strange is that the displayed font size goes down to 1, but the text doesn't change. If you then hit the up arrow the displayed font size goes up in increments of 1 (ie, 2, 3, 4, 5,...) but the actual font starts incrementing from 11 (i.e., 12, 13, 14, ...) So after a while the document's font is 23 while the displayed font size in the side bar is 11.
Screen Shot 2014-02-18 at 14.18 .png
Screen Shot 2014-02-18 at 14.18 .png (71.64 KiB) Viewed 7435 times
A test document is enclosed. Just select all and hit the font-size up/down buttons. It doesn't seem to matter which font you use—I tried Myriad Pro, Cochin and Optima and got the same behavior with all of them.
Attachments
Strange Nisus bug 2.rtf
(17.66 KiB) Downloaded 508 times
exegete77

Re: Font size won't go below 11?

Post by exegete77 »

There is no style associated with it and I couldn’t get it to work. As soon as I changed the paragraph style to Normal, then I could change the font size.
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990
alanterra

Post by alanterra »

That is what I found, exegete77, but perhaps I am not quite understanding what is going on. It appears that the text has no style associated with it, but if you remove the style (or set the style to Normal), then everything works. But why should the up/down buttons not work for font size and the slider work like it should?

I should mention that this document is derived from text generated by Scrivener, so there may be some hidden styles associated with it.
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

I’ve just checked with a file exported from Scrivener. The only paragraphs which have some definition are the footnotes, which NWP recognises as footnotes, though they have a default style, not even as defined in my Nisus New File.

The main text is exported in TNR 11pt, but with no style attached. If I highlight a paragraph or even the whole text, clicking on the lower font size arrow to reduce the size, lowers the displayed number, but (a) with a short delay, and (b) without changing the font size in the text. If I click the increase font size arrow, the text jumps automatically to 13 pt — the size I use while working in Scrivener. It will then reduce to 11 but no further.

So clearly there’s something going on, but as I apply styles, etc. first thing before beginning to work on the text itself, it doesn’t constitute a problem for me.

Mark
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

It turns out that this problem actually has to do with the way directly applied attributes (ie: formatting) can be culled when they match the attributes enforced by styles. In this particular document the font size won't decrease past 11pts due to the document's Normal style.

If you have some text in a document with no applied formatting, NWP will fallback to the font/size specified by the Normal style definition, even though it is not applied to the text itself. Here the Normal style's font size is 11pts, which is erroneously causing that font size attribute to be culled after you apply it using the palette. This is a bug, and we'll definitely take a look at getting it fixed.

You can workaround this in one of two ways:

1. Apply your Normal style to your document's body text.
2. Change your Normal style definition (via the Style Sheet view) so it does not enforce a font size of 11pts.