List Styles

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
NisusUser

List Styles

Post by NisusUser »

What does "Continue numbering accross document content" do? I tried searching the PDF help manual, but that text command did not show up, nor any of the mutations I could think of. :)
Attachments
List Styles %22Continue numbering accross document content%22.png
List Styles %22Continue numbering accross document content%22.png (31.96 KiB) Viewed 9191 times
NisusUser

Re: List Styles

Post by NisusUser »

Another question. What I want is two lists that will be like this:

List One:
1.1 Text of point 1.1 is here (leaving enough space so double digit numbering can be used).
1.2 Text of point 1.2 is here.

There will never be a main heading ending in zero (e.g., 1.0, 2.0 will not occur). There must not be a period after the second digit. The numbering will likely go to around 40.25. Actually the first digit here is a chapter number, so maybe it can be accessed (linked) from somewhere else, and there will be no need for 40 levels?

List Two:
  • A. Text of point A. is here, with the "A." starting the same distance in from the left margin as the place where the Text of the numbered list begins.
  • B. Text of point B. is here (same as A. above.)
These lists are totally separate from each other and the A., B. one is not a subset of the 1.1 one. (I could not get it to format correctly as far as spacing (indenting) for the forum.)

I don't know how to set these up. Seems to me lists are pretty complicated (thus, I suppose, powerful) in NWP.
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

NisusUser wrote:What does "Continue numbering accross document content" do?
It means that every time you use the list anywhere in your document, the list will pick up where the last instance of the list left off. So the list continues numbering across intervening text. You can still restart such lists, but you need to use the "Restart numbering" feature.

If the option is clicked off, then each time you use that list style the numbering restarts at 1 (or whatever you set.) Only contiguous paragraphs with the list style are numbered as a sequence.

From the look of your next question, you will probably want "Continue numbering across document content" clicked on for your list styles "List One" and "List Two".
NisusUser wrote:Another question. What I want is two lists that will be like this:

List One:
1.1 Text of point 1.1 is here (leaving enough space so double digit numbering can be used).
1.2 Text of point 1.2 is here.

There will never be a main heading ending in zero (e.g., 1.0, 2.0 will not occur). There must not be a period after the second digit. The numbering will likely go to around 40.25. Actually the first digit here is a chapter number, so maybe it can be accessed (linked) from somewhere else, and there will be no need for 40 levels?
The problem with what you describe, is that you seem to want a tiered list, but you will only be using Level 2 of the tiered list. You then want to move to the next number for Level 1, but you don't seem to want to use the number for it. Like this:

1 -- won't appear
2 -- won't appear
3 -- won't appear
etc.

I don't think Nisus can do this unless, you use some hack to make those unused numbers disappear (i.e., invisible font, or similar). One would need some kind of 'increment number' feature, to tell the numbering to move to the next chapter.
Other than that defining such a list is straightforward.

The trick for removing that final period from a list level setting is to use the "#" style of list formatting. With that style of formatting you can arrange things any way you want.
List_formatting2.png
List_formatting2.png (61.55 KiB) Viewed 9186 times
NisusUser wrote: List Two:
  • A. Text of point A. is here, with the "A." starting the same distance in from the left margin as the place where the Text of the numbered list begins.
  • B. Text of point B. is here (same as A. above.)
These lists are totally separate from each other and the A., B. one is not a subset of the 1.1 one. (I could not get it to format correctly as far as spacing (indenting) for the forum.
To get the indent for a list to work right you need to make sure to go to the style, select the level of the list style for which you want to set the indent, and then modify the indent in the usual way. Generally the list style indentation overrides any paragraph style indentation. (I think I have this right, I always have to experiment with this myself.)
List_formatting.png
List_formatting.png (86.67 KiB) Viewed 9188 times
I am attaching a sample, that may be close to what you want.
NisusUser_Numbering.rtf
(24.72 KiB) Downloaded 527 times
philip
NisusUser

Post by NisusUser »

Philip,

Bravo! I imported your lists, and they work great. I have been fiddling with this a lot today, and for some reason didn't hit the right combination.

Is there a way to make it so the marker letter or number and its punctuation is bold, but the text in the list is not? Seems that when I try to do this it's either all or nothing, or I have to manually select the text I want bold or non-bold.

Thanks so much for all your help!
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

NisusUser wrote:Is there a way to make it so the marker letter or number and its punctuation is bold, but the text in the list is not? Seems that when I try to do this it's either all or nothing, or I have to manually select the text I want bold or non-bold.
Well, of course you can use Find/Replace to select those bits, but the applied bold will not stick. And it's clear why this doesn't work. While Nisus treats the numbers, periods, tabs, and other characters of the list numbering as individual characters when they are laid out, underlyingly they are a single auto number character. So presumably there is no place to store such formatting info. It might be nice if Nisus could make this work somehow, but I am not hopeful that the current numbering model is compatible with this. Hopefully Nisus can at some point find a way to implement auto-numbers like the ones in Classic, which are not bound to the start of a paragraph. That model would allow you to have separate chapter and verse auto numbers, and you could then bold only the chapter numbers. Such a model would also allow you to avoid that workaround of hiding the chapter numbers.
philip
ptram

Post by ptram »

I don't know if this can already be done, but I would love the "Restart numbering" flag to be saved into a paragraph style. Nisus would work in the same way as InDesign, where I can have a "Numbered 1" style for the first item of a list, and a "Numbered" style for all the subsequent items. Exchanging texts from the two would be even easier.

Paolo
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

ptram wrote:I don't know if this can already be done, but I would love the "Restart numbering" flag to be saved into a paragraph style. Nisus would work in the same way as InDesign, where I can have a "Numbered 1" style for the first item of a list, and a "Numbered" style for all the subsequent items.
Nisus Writer Pro cannot currently do this, but it sounds like a useful enhancement to me. I'll file it, thanks Paolo!
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

I, too, would like to see this feature.
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990