where does the nisus writer pro pdf manual live?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
RowlandCarson

where does the nisus writer pro pdf manual live?

Post by RowlandCarson »

I noticed that the manual which come up when I click on the Nisus Writer Pro (v2.0.7) help has a few discrepancies (e.g. missing links and such) so I downloaded the latest PDF from the Nisus website. That appears to be free of the bugs I'd noticed, but I can't figure out where to put the new PDF so that it will be what shows up from the Help menu.

Any advice welcome.

in friendship

Rowland
Þorvarður

Re: where does the nisus writer pro pdf manual live?

Post by Þorvarður »

RowlandCarson wrote:I can't figure out where to put the new PDF so that it will be what shows up from the Help menu.
Hello Rowland,

1. Choose "Nisus Writer Pro Help" from the Help menu.
2. Command click on the Proxy icon
3. Select "Resources" from the pop-up menu
4. You should see the help file already selected in the Resources window.
5. Now remove the help file by *Command* dragging it to the Desktop (just in case you need it again). You must use the Command key while you drag. A simple dragging will just create an alias on the Desktop.
6. Now place the new help file in the Resources folder and close the window.
7. You may have to relaunch Nisus to get access to the new file from the Help menu

About proxy icons, see here:
http://macs.about.com/od/usingyourmac/qt/proxy-icon.htm
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-12-18 at 12.07.12.png
Screen Shot 2014-12-18 at 12.07.12.png (23.8 KiB) Viewed 5889 times
RowlandCarson

Post by RowlandCarson »

Þorvarður - thanks for your reply. That worked fine for me - once I figured out what a proxy icon is, thanks for the hint! - and I found I had to change the name of the new file to exactly match the old one (the download had v2.0 in the title).

in friendship

Rowland
Þorvarður

Post by Þorvarður »

RowlandCarson wrote:the download had v2.0 in the title
If the download had v2.0 in the title, are you then sure it's the latest version? Check the last part of the COPYRIGHT, before the Contents. There is a sentence there that reads:

"This version of the User’s Guide matches Nisus Writer Pro [version number]"
RowlandCarson

Post by RowlandCarson »

Thanks, I hadn't noticed that detail! The PDF I removed is for V2.0.1 and the one I replaced it with is for v2.0. I'm running Nisus Writer Pro 2.0.7 - how or where do I get a PDF corresponding to that?

BTW, what started me off looking for a better manual was the text on page i of the 2.0.1 manual: "this is a good place to start if you have a question about what a command accomplishes beginning on page [Referenced content is missing.]" In the V2.0 manual it says: "this is a good place to start if you have a question about what a command accomplishes beginning on page 429".

in friendship

Rowland
Þorvarður

Post by Þorvarður »

RowlandCarson wrote:The PDF I removed is for V2.0.1 and the one I replaced it with is for v2.0. I'm running Nisus Writer Pro 2.0.7 - how or where do I get a PDF corresponding to that?
I checked their website and found an updater for older versions to the current version 2.0.7 here:

http://nisus.com/update/pro.php

I just downloaded this updater, and the Package Content contains a user guide called "Nisus Writer Pro User Guide". The version is indeed your previous version 2.0.1. It further says:

"Total words: 185527. Total physical pages 525 Last saved August 24, 2011 8:07:52 PM EDT PDF created August 24, 2011 8:09:04 PM EDT"

Regarding the name "Nisus Writer Pro User Guide", I think the name changes to "help" when the program is installed. So after the installation, the file in the folder "Resources" carries the name "help", but it is obviously identical to "Nisus Writer Pro User Guide".

If you are a new Nisus user, I recommend duplicating the user guide, aka the help file, place it in a folder of your choice, for example the folder where your other Nisus documents are, or into a personal help folder (like I do). You can then highlight and underline important passages in Preview or Skim without altering the original. This also applies to the "Macro Language Reference" file which you can also access from the Help menu. It's a .zrtf file, and you can work on the duplicate directly in Nisus, highlight text, paste screenshots, write comments, etc. For me, this was the only way I was able to learn the macro language.