Nisus Writer Pro File blow out

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
dumiya

Nisus Writer Pro File blow out

Post by dumiya »

I have a problem with graphics.
If I paste a 34kb .svg graphic into a new Nisus Writer Pro (up to date) file the file size blows out to 1.5MB on disc
If I paste the same graphic as .jpg 140kb the file size still blows out to 1.5MB
The graphic is 1/4 of an A4 page. If I reduce it in Nisus to 1/8 page it is still 1.5MB
My problem is a few of these graphics makes the file impossibly large and eventually is freezes the 2010 iMac 27 inch
Is their any solution. Perhaps I am missing something, or expecting too much.
Thank you.
ptram

Re: Nisus Writer Pro File blow out

Post by ptram »

If I remember correctly, not all graphic formats are placed as they are in Nisus Writer. They have to be converted, therefore duplicated. The original file is saved together with the converted version. Hence the bigger size.

I can't find where this is explained in the manual, but I remember it was there.

Paolo
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

There is some explanation here:
http://nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3513
dumiya

Post by dumiya »

Yes, saving the file as a .zrtf reduced the size to 1/5 of the original. Save As .pdf increased the file only marginally
Thank you.
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

An svg is a vector graphic. So it is basically a text file containing instructions on how to draw a given figure. You will need to convert it to a bitmap graphic first before Nisus can do anything with it. I recommend a program like Inkscape to convert such a graphic.

Also, if you reduce the size of a graphic within Nisus you are only changing the display size, but the memory size of the graphic stays the same. If you care about this, you should use a graphic program to change the size of the graphic first before inserting it into your Nisus file.
philip