How To Find Next Instance of Style (not all of them)

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
withoutFeathers

How To Find Next Instance of Style (not all of them)

Post by withoutFeathers »

Hi,

Briefly:
Macro "Select by Style" doesn't work for me because it selects all of them.
What I need is a way to select the next instance of a style.

Why I need this:
I've got a 500 page book with Style A sprinkled throughout that is used occasionally.

When I 'update by style' from one instance of Style A, certain changes are applied in a way that changes the layout (before and after spacings get wiped out, and these are different when there are multiple paragraphs vs. first and last paragraphs).

So I have to quickly look through these instances and see what I need to adjust by hand. I have to look at each one. Hence I need a macro that selects 'next instance of style' and shows it. Then I'll make sure it's ok, then apply the macro again and look at the next instance of the style. And so on.

Unfortunately "Select by Style", which selects them all at once, is not useful for this, and there doesn't seem to be any other option.

Have I missed something? Or, possibly, could you provide me such a macro? I'm assuming this could be made as a variant of "Select by Style" without much extra work. I think others would find it useful also.

I've needed this several times over the years, and tried to figure out a way via the manual, the macros, and the PowerFind, and failed.

Maybe now is the time? :)

Thanks

WF
Hamid

Re: How To Find Next Instance of Style (not all of them)

Post by Hamid »

In the menus Format:Character Style and Format:Paragraph Style, there is a sub menu 'Select Next in Same Style' which will do what you want.
withoutFeathers

Re: How To Find Next Instance of Style (not all of them)

Post by withoutFeathers »

Hamid wrote:In the menus Format:Character Style and Format:Paragraph Style, there is a sub menu 'Select Next in Same Style' which will do what you want.
Hurray! Thank you Hamid.

WF