Nisus 2.1 asked me to enter my licence like a new user

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
lgreen

Nisus 2.1 asked me to enter my licence like a new user

Post by lgreen »

I installed the upgrade to Nisus 2.1 and it launched unregistered [good thing I had filed away my licence key] and it appears to have wiped all the preferences from the '/Users/leopoldgreen/Library/Application Support/Nisus Writer/' folder which now no longer exists.

What has gone wrong for my installation or is this a bug with 2.1?

How much have I lost with the removal of the Library folder

Why does document manager now no longer recognise all of my files? They are all in red now with the error message:
"No Preview Available:
the file does not exist. The last known location was:
/Users/lxxxxxn/Documents/bxxxxxk/SPS 2517 Classification of Degree 2008-09.pdf

[NSCocoaErrorDomain - code 4]"

I have never had a problem with Nisus before but I feel quite unsure of what has gone wrong here

Thanks in advance

Leopold
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Nisus 2.1 asked me to enter my licence like a new user

Post by martin »

Hello Leopold,
lgreen wrote:I installed the upgrade to Nisus 2.1 and it launched unregistered [good thing I had filed away my licence key]
By default Nisus Writer Pro 2.1 should automatically migrate your existing license key, but apparently something went wrong. I'm glad you had your license key on file, but if not, you can always use our Nisus license key lookup.
it appears to have wiped all the preferences from the '/Users/leopoldgreen/Library/Application Support/Nisus Writer/' folder which now no longer exists.
Preferences and support files should also be automatically migrated when you first launch Pro 2.1. That does mean that the old (pre-sandbox) Application Support folder for Nisus Writer will be moved to the new (sandboxed) folder. Nisus Writer Pro's sandbox folder is:

~/Library/Containers/com.nisus.NisusWriter

So you'll find that data is now stored in locations like:

~/Library/Containers/com.nisus.NisusWriter/Data/Library/Preferences/com.nisus.NisusWriter.plist
~/Library/Containers/com.nisus.NisusWriter/Data/Library/Application Support/Nisus Writer Pro

This is standard behavior for sandboxed apps on OSX.
What has gone wrong for my installation or is this a bug with 2.1?

How much have I lost with the removal of the Library folder
Are your actual preferences intact? That is, are your Nisus Writer settings, templates, etc, obeyed when using Pro 2.1? If so, then don't worry about any data loss, it's just that some files are in now stored in different locations.
Why does document manager now no longer recognise all of my files? They are all in red now with the error message:
"No Preview Available:
the file does not exist. The last known location was:
/Users/lxxxxxn/Documents/bxxxxxk/SPS 2517 Classification of Degree 2008-09.pdf
Have you double-checked that this file actually exist at the quoted path, or is it true that the file does not exist? If the file does exist, then it may be an access problem. Have you given Pro 2.1 access to your Document Manager folder? You can make sure in the "Doc Manager" preferences.
Vanceone

Post by Vanceone »

As a note, I had to reenter my license code as well; I'm running Mavericks so maybe it only auto migrates from Yosemite or something.
lgreen

Post by lgreen »

Yes I am on Mavericks so that must be the reason

My preferences do seem to be intact so you must be right and I am worrying unnecessarily...

ditto on the missing files - why does it look for files which have long since gone? I suppose I just need to go through Document Manager and delete all the red missing files?

Sorry if I sounded alarmist!

Leopold
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I'm sorry that you and Vance both had to manually enter your license keys. That should have been imported automatically into Pro 2.1. We'll take a look.
lgreen wrote:My preferences do seem to be intact so you must be right and I am worrying unnecessarily...
That's great, I'm glad the rest of your settings are intact.
why does it look for files which have long since gone? I suppose I just need to go through Document Manager and delete all the red missing files?
You can delete the missing files to remove them if you like. There's also a setting in the "Doc Manager" preference pane for this: turn off "shows files that are missing or located in the Trash".
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

I had to enter my license as well, Yosemite, 10.10.2

Also, I continue to have the problem with the warning (see attachment). No matter I do in the System Preferences or in Nisus Preferences I get the same warning. No other program has this problem. I use Mellel and Scrivener (as well as occasionally Word and OpenOffice) and never once has this warning appeared.

In another post on 2.1 there was a link on how to change the language in System Preferences, yet when I try that, the dropdown is greyed out and so not available to change anything. I type in English, as well as Greek and Hebrew.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-03-18 at 17.30.44.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-18 at 17.30.44.png (28.32 KiB) Viewed 8601 times
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

exegete77 wrote:I had to enter my license as well, Yosemite, 10.10.2
I'm sorry for the inconvenience, your license key should have been automatically migrated. It's been determined this was a problem affecting some license keys, specifically those entered using the "Computer" scope option, instead of the "Personal" scope option.
Also, I continue to have the problem with the warning (see attachment). No matter I do in the System Preferences or in Nisus Preferences I get the same warning. No other program has this problem. I use Mellel and Scrivener (as well as occasionally Word and OpenOffice) and never once has this warning appeared.
This error is most likely occurring because one of your languages in NWP is configured to switch to Spell Catcher's input method / keyboard layout. You will want to:

1. Open NWP's preferences.
2. Switch to the "Languages" pane.
3. From the list of languages on the left, select one of the languages in which you work, eg: English, Greek, etc.
4. From the language settings on the right, make sure the "Keyboard" option is not set to Spell Catcher. You may also want to change the setting if it is configured to "switch to last used keyboard". It could be that Spell Catcher was recorded at some point, and NWP is trying to revert back to that for you.
5. Repeat steps 3-4 for all languages you use in NWP.

I hope that's clear. Please let me know if you still have troubles.
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

martin wrote: This error is most likely occurring because one of your languages in NWP is configured to switch to Spell Catcher's input method / keyboard layout. You will want to:

1. Open NWP's preferences.
2. Switch to the "Languages" pane.
3. From the list of languages on the left, select one of the languages in which you work, eg: English, Greek, etc.
4. From the language settings on the right, make sure the "Keyboard" option is not set to Spell Catcher. You may also want to change the setting if it is configured to "switch to last used keyboard". It could be that Spell Catcher was recorded at some point, and NWP is trying to revert back to that for you.
5. Repeat steps 3-4 for all languages you use in NWP.

I hope that's clear. Please let me know if you still have troubles.
Thanks. Step 4 was the key. But not quite as you wrote. I had it set to Spell Catcher, and when I changed it to Spell Catcher Unicode. Everything works perfectly.

Thanks for this Martin
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990