Problem with section-based endnotes

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
bmscmoreira

Problem with section-based endnotes

Post by bmscmoreira »

Hi all.
I am dividing a document in Nisus in several sections, and I am trying to get, at the end of each section, all corresponding endnotes (for that section only).
This, together with "regular" footnotes at the end of each page where they appear.

I create a new Nisus document, add some paragraphs, a footnote and an endonote; everything fine. But if I insert a section break, the endnotes disappear. Even CMD+Z will not restore them.

Can anyone help? Don't know if its a bug or a option somewhere. Thanks.
phspaelti

Re: Problem with section-based endnotes

Post by phspaelti »

I just tried this and you are correct. The result is disconcerting. But the note itself has not disappeared. Save the document and reopen, and it should show up.
Then use "Send Feedback" (in the Help menu) and report this as a bug.
philip
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks to both of you. I'm also able to reproduce the bug. I'll file a bug report so we can get this fixed.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

Also, I noticed that when you insert the first endnote reference in a document which already has footnotes, the endnote field to enter the endnote text is not activated. Even double-clicking the endnote reference does not make it active. Only closing and reopening the document and then double-clicking the endnote reference activates the endnote field.
bmscmoreira

Post by bmscmoreira »

Thanks. Re-opening effectively solves it. I'm glad they are not lost.
Further research showed me that I can only have one "container" for all endnotes of all sections, gathered at the very end of the document.
It would be great if one could have endnotes for each section, something like this (but I think it's not possible, right?)

<section 1>
<page 1>
<main text>
<footnotes>
<page 2>
<main text>
<footnotes>
<section 1 endnotes>

<section 2>
<page 3>
<main text>
<footnotes>
<page 4>
<main text>
<footnotes>
<section 2 endnotes>
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

You can have endnotes per section; just make sure that in the Endnote style Place popup you have End of Section checked:
en eos.png
en eos.png (25.15 KiB) Viewed 7634 times
bmscmoreira

Post by bmscmoreira »

Thank you Hamid. Missed that! I am still beginning to grasp the power of Nisus, as the end editor for RTF's compiled in Scrivener.