Hyphenation macro doesn't work any more in NWP 2.1.2

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
ninjagame

Hyphenation macro doesn't work any more in NWP 2.1.2

Post by ninjagame »

It seems that the "Insert hyphen (soft)" macro which I've been using for many years now in order to achieve decent (German) hyphenation doesn't work anymore with NWP 2.1.2.
I'm running OS 10.11 "El Capitan" on my machine and the "Hyphenation" submenu is set to "Disabled". With NWP 2.1.1 this worked just fine.
Setting the submenu to other options like "Manual", "Automatic - Normal", or "Automatic - More Often" doesn't solve the problem - it just reintroduces the wretched German hyphenation provided by Apple's hyphenation engine.
What am In doing wrong? Am I missing an updated version of the macro?
BTW when I went back to 2.1.1, the problem was gone.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Hyphenation macro doesn't work any more in NWP 2.1.2

Post by martin »

I tried to reproduce the problem you described, but failed. I tested using NWP 2.1.2 and OSX 10.11.
I'm running OS 10.11 "El Capitan" on my machine and the "Hyphenation" submenu is set to "Disabled". With NWP 2.1.1 this worked just fine.
Setting the submenu to other options like "Manual", "Automatic - Normal", or "Automatic - More Often" doesn't solve the problem - it just reintroduces the wretched German hyphenation provided by Apple's hyphenation engine.
Your document's hyphenation should be set to "Manual". If you set it to "Disabled", then even your soft hyphen characters should be ignored.

If you continue to have troubles, can you please send us a sample document that shows the problem? Using the menu Help > Send Feedback is always best. Thank you.
ninjagame

Post by ninjagame »

martin -

Thanks again for your reply.
I've tried what you suggested but to no avail. So I've sent a sample via the Help -> Send Feedback menu along with a print-to-PDF file for you to see what happens on my machine.

ninjagame
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for the report and document ninjagame. We've received your feedback and will take a look at the problem. Offhand it seems like the issue is related to the combination of hyphenation and a justified paragraph alignment.
ninjagame

Post by ninjagame »

Offhand it seems like the issue is related to the combination of hyphenation and a justified paragraph alignment.
Well, that surely seems strange. I wonder how it is possible that using justified paragraphs and hyphenation (hyphenation control set to "Disabled") has been working up to and is still working with NWP 2.1.1 and OS 10.11. The only thing that has changed is that I've upgraded to NWP 2.1.2.

Update: Yesterday, I've tried it on the machine I'm working with at the office. That machine is still running on OS 10.8.5. Downloaded the NWP 2.1.2 trial version, opened a document - and it worked with hyphenation control set to "Manual". I was able to insert hyphens at will, just as it's supposed to work.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

The version of OSX you are using seems to be a factor here. NWP relies upon the OSX text engine to handle justification; NWP and OSX work together to handle hyphenation.

Using NWP 2.1.2 I'm able to reproduce the issue on OSX 10.10, but not 10.11. This is strange since you said the bug occurs for you when using NWP 2.1.2 and OSX 10.11. I can't explain the different results. We'll continue to investigate the problem on OSX 10.10, where we can reproduce the issue. Perhaps it will reveal some underlying cause that could explain the different results.
ninjagame

Post by ninjagame »

Martin -

Thank you very much for your help so far.
So it's down to wait and hope.
Would it help if I sent you the same sample again, this time using NWP 2.1.1 (and OS 10.11)? In this combination it works for me (with hyphenation control set to "Disabled", that is.)

ninjagame
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for the offer to send in another report ninjagame, but in this case it won't help. I'll let you know if there's anything else that might assist us. Thank you for your help!
ninjagame

Post by ninjagame »

OK, I'll wait and see. I have full confidence in you Nisus people!