Space above a paragraph immediately below header

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
David Sharp

Space above a paragraph immediately below header

Post by David Sharp »

To prepare a document for printing in Page View, I often juggle the amount of space above and/or below a given paragraph style.
I observe that when I do this with a style placed right at the top of my document, ie immediately below the page header, changing the amount of space above the style has no effect.
This is true for the first page—where I typically want to adjust the amount of space appearing above the document's main title—or for an internal page.
In order for extra space to become visible above a paragraph occurring at the top of a page, I have to resort to an artifice, by inserting an empty paragraph above it.
This behaviour doesn't seem logical to me. Is there something I'm missing?
Groucho

Re: Space above a paragraph immediately below header

Post by Groucho »

Hello, David.

No, you're missing nothing. I've been asking, begging, supplicating for this for nine years.

Greetings, Henry.
David Sharp

Post by David Sharp »

Groucho writes:
No, you're missing nothing. I've been asking, begging, supplicating for this for nine years.
Sorry if the issue's already been raised; obviously my trawl of the forum archives wasn't complete enough!
Can you point me in the direction of earlier exchanges?

NB: From my point of view this doesn't seem to be a critical issue; I raised it more as a curiosity than for any other reason.
adryan

Post by adryan »

G‘day, David et al

I agree with Henry: I don’t think you’re missing anything.

Some suggestions:–

(1) Insert a blank paragraph above the first paragraph on the page in question (as you already suggested).
(2) Insert a new Section immediately prior to, and on the same page as, the paragraph in question. With the cursor inside this (blank) Section, adjust line spacing as required (eg, 0.7 lin, 1.6 lin or whatever).
(3) Ensure the paragraph in question is the first in a Section, choose Different First Page for the Headers in that Section and incorporate the desired spacing in the first-page header.

With formatting that is so page-dependent, I would probably defer it until the document was just about ready to be printed.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996