Problems with Sierra OS?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Bryand

Problems with Sierra OS?

Post by Bryand »

I updated to Sierra yesterday and opened Nisus Pro today. The file I was working on loaded. I made some changes and the the automatic save feature told me that the file could not be found. "The file doesn't exist." The I got a message that the file server (i.e. the NAS drive where the file was stored) was shutting down.It did. I tried "Save as" with similar results. Then the program froze.
On inspecting the drive it seems that the original file was intact, plus, several file copies in temp folders had been added.
I force quit Nisus Pro, closed down the computer, and re-started.
Nisus opened and I opened the file again. this time I tried closing it and opening it without change and it behaved. Then I made the changes I wanted and experienced exactly the same problem I did earlier.
I tried one other thing. I copied my file from the NAS to the Documents folder on my computer's drive. Opened up the file in Nisus Pro, made changes and saved the file. This time it was stable.
I use a Synology Diskstation and keep all of the many files I have created using Nisus Pro over the years on these drives without problem until today. So it would appear that my problem is tied to the way Sierra, Nisus Pro and Diskstation interact. I do not have this problem with other programs.
This may be a rare phenomenon but your thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Problems with Sierra OS?

Post by martin »

I'm sorry you've had problems with Nisus Writer after upgrading to Sierra. Before I dive into your specific problem, I would say that in general Nisus Writer doesn't concern itself with how files are stored on disk, as the system (macOS) is responsible for actually storing files on Nisus Writer's behalf. If you're having trouble with one drive or another, it's most likely a system problem.

Now, getting to your specific issues:
I made some changes and the the automatic save feature told me that the file could not be found. "The file doesn't exist."
I tried "Save as" with similar results. Then the program froze.
Before I speculate as to the cause of these problems, could you please send us a feedback report using the menu Help > Send Feedback. It would be great if you could trigger the problem again, including the error message and subsequent freeze, restart Nisus Writer, and then send in a feedback report. Please be sure to attach all available diagnostic logs, including the system log and any hang logs.

Let me know if you have any questions.